Need routing advice how to avoid traffic NJ -> Virginia -> SC and back

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
In a couple of weeks we are traveling from Northern NJ to Williamsburg VA.

Every time I drive to Maryland I get my clock cleaned by traffic and just know there has to be a better way. Last time it too me 7 hours to go from Northern NJ to Gaithersburg, MD.

I remember driving to Amazon Racing traffic free so I just know there has to be a different route that saves a lot of time even if it adds 30-60 miles as long as it bypasses traffic and saves a bunch of time.

We are either leaving on a Thursday night after 7 PM or Friday morning at 8 AM. We are open to suggestions as to which is best. I am traveling with my 2 kids so leaving at 3:00 AM is not an option.

Our first stop is my friend in Gaithersburg, MD and that is the worst leg of the journey with respect to traffic. We are going to stay there for a night or two then we head to Williamsburg , VA. Last time we did that the trip from Gaithersburg, MD to WIlliamsburg, VA was pretty much traffic free.

After spending a couple of days in Williamsburg we are going to Myrtle Beach for 3 days and could use some traffic advice on that journey as well.

Naturally we need the traffic advice coming back as well.

Here is the breakdown of the trip we need help with avoiding traffic:

1) Northern NJ to Gaithersburg, VA leaving either Thursday 7:00 PM or Friday 8:00 AM
2) Alexandria VA to Williamsburg VA leaving Saturday around noon.
3) Williamsburg VA to North Myrtle Beach, SC leaving Monday morning around 8:00 AM
4) North Myrtle Beach, SC to New Bern, NC leaving Wednesday evening
5) New Bern, NC to Willamsburg, VA leaving Thursday morning 8:00 AM
6) Williamsburg, VA to Gaithersburg MD leaving Saturday morning 10:00 AM *********
7) Gaithersburg, MD to Northern NJ leaving Sometime on Sunday or Monday.

** if it saves a ton of traffic we can skip going back to Gaithersburg MD and go directly home from Williamsburg.

So I need help cutting down the time behind the wheel by choosing alternate routes and possibly different days/times.

GPS only does so much with traffic and I am looking to think out of the box about routes that take me 30 miles out of the way but save 1 hour and so on.

Thanks guys!

Oh yeah first trip to Myrtle Beach SC and New Bern NC so any tips are greatly appreciated.
-Dan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread