Need recommendations on sub 20k sedans

hoamskilet

Established Member
The wife and I are looking to downsize from her 09 Expedition to a newer sedan. We're looking at spending less than 20K and don't want to go much older than about 3 or 4 years. Anybody have some good suggetions? A few we've been looking at are 2016+ Malibu's, Mazda 6's, Maxima's, Regal's.....maybe Fusions, but she's already had a Fusion before and kinda wants to try something different.

We've looked at some of the smaller SUV's/CUV's and none of them have really caught our eye. Plus they seem to be more expensive, so we can get a newer vehicle with less miles by going the sedan route.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I put one of my college students in a new Hyundai Elantra in 2015. Seats are too small for me (6'3" 220lb) but he's 6'3" 160 and loves it. Great gas mileage and good looking. I think it has a rubber band engine. I think I paid around $20k at the time.

Bought a new Sonata in 2013 and really liked that car. My other son is in it now. I was more comfortable in it than the new full sized Cadillac DTS I bought for twice the price back in 2006.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
To follow up on the SHO suggestion, I picked up a fully loaded 2013 MKS Ecoboost at the end of the last year for 16.5. You can find gently used SHO’s and MKS’s sub 20 pretty regularly.

Recon

Established Member
If your willing to pay a little more, we picked up a 14 GS350 F sport for 26k heavily optioned with 40k miles. If not SHO has my vote.

Pick your poison.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Camry/accord

Yeah, not sure why people on here are so against toyota/honda.

Step 1: buy accord
Step 2: fall asleep, wake up 12 years later, car is still running like a champ and your wallet is full from the low maintenance costs
Step 3: no need to rinse and repeat, the damn thing won't die for another 200K miles LOL

I've lived this and it puts a smile on my face.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I put one of my college students in a new Hyundai Elantra in 2015. Seats are too small for me (6'3" 220lb) but he's 6'3" 160 and loves it. Great gas mileage and good looking. I think it has a rubber band engine. I think I paid around $20k at the time.

Bought a new Sonata in 2013 and really liked that car. My other son is in it now. I was more comfortable in it than the new full sized Cadillac DTS I bought for twice the price back in 2006.

2017-2018 Elantra Sport. 1.6L turbo with the DCT Transmission(id option for the manual but for a wife the DCT is quite slick). With all options ticked the price should be right around 20-23k. Its a killer sedan with a fantastic motor and options for the money. Also you cant beat the 100k warranty. Def test drive it.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm also looking for a nice sedan in the mid-teens to keep the miles off of my truck. If you relax your model year minimum a year or two you can get a nice G37 for $14-18k. I had a G35 a few years ago and loved it. Solid cars, decent gas mileage (if you're fine with low-mid 20's), 330 hp, insanely comfortable seats.

Stanger00

Established Member
Yeah, not sure why people on here are so against toyota/honda.

Step 1: buy accord
Step 2: fall asleep, wake up 12 years later, car is still running like a champ and your wallet is full from the low maintenance costs
Step 3: no need to rinse and repeat, the damn thing won't die for another 200K miles LOL

I've lived this and it puts a smile on my face.

Accords will be right at the top of the budget but they are reliable and the sports have a decent look with the 18" wheels.

The other full size would be Nissan Altima SV or SR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
The wife and I are looking to downsize from her 09 Expedition to a newer sedan. We're looking at spending less than 20K and don't want to go much older than about 3 or 4 years. Anybody have some good suggetions? A few we've been looking at are 2016+ Malibu's, Mazda 6's, Maxima's, Regal's.....maybe Fusions, but she's already had a Fusion before and kinda wants to try something different.

We've looked at some of the smaller SUV's/CUV's and none of them have really caught our eye. Plus they seem to be more expensive, so we can get a newer vehicle with less miles by going the sedan route.
What options are you wanting?
Two door, four door?
Sunroof, leather?
JC...you can get a nearly new stripped down civic in your price range....need more info.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Accords will be right at the top of the budget but they are reliable and the sports have a decent look with the 18" wheels.

The other full size would be Nissan Altima SV or SR.

Agreed, but OP said the car could be 3-4 years old. In that case, a certified pre-owned Accord would fit the budget. I think a brand new 2018 is around $24k.

hoamskilet

Established Member
What options are you wanting?
Two door, four door?
Sunroof, leather?
JC...you can get a nearly new stripped down civic in your price range....need more info.
Mid to full size sedan (4 doors). Wife wants leather and a sunroof

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
2017-2018 Elantra Sport. 1.6L turbo with the DCT Transmission(id option for the manual but for a wife the DCT is quite slick). With all options ticked the price should be right around 20-23k. Its a killer sedan with a fantastic motor and options for the money. Also you cant beat the 100k warranty. Def test drive it.

Neighbor has one and it's a very slick ride and he's done a few tasteful mods (wheels, tint, sway bar, spoiler). Otherwise, a SHO/MKS with a tune makes for a very fun DD under $20K.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Agreed, but OP said the car could be 3-4 years old. In that case, a certified pre-owned Accord would fit the budget. I think a brand new 2018 is around $24k.

I got hung up on the 2016+. I was looking for mid size sedans 6 months ago and found a lot of 2015 Titanium Fusions, even energi's, in my <20k budget. I wanted a comparable Honda but they were all 3-5k more on average.

Users who are viewing this thread