Need rear pads recommendations

demas

Established Member
Hey guys,
I recently replaced my rear brake pads to Hawk street and race and since then I have way too many brake dust. It's killing me.
I'm going to switch back to the factory but I need your recommendations for a good and dustless rear brake pads.

Something with good performance and clean job!

Thanks!

nate714

Established Member
do you want brake pads that slow/stop the car or dustless? Ceramic pads are usually pretty good at stopping with less dust, but generally the more stopping power you have the more brake dust you make.

demas

Established Member
do you want brake pads that slow/stop the car or dustless? Ceramic pads are usually pretty good at stopping with less dust, but generally the more stopping power you have the more brake dust you make.

I would like to find the best combination of performance-dustless with a little more for dustless:)

demas

Established Member

I would like to find the best combination of performance-dustless with a little more for dustless:)

blownby

Established Member
Look at Hawk ceramic pads....or Hawk HPS 5.0
I too have the Hawk HPS 5.0 on my daily driver and are pretty low dust and tons of stop power.
Now on my stang they dust quite a bit on front's but maybe because brembo's

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
yup... match them unless you just drive to the grocery store and liquor store... slowly.

I run hawk HP 5.0 on the street and the rears are pretty clean, but yeah like noted previously my front are dusty! I have the 4 piston stoptech, basically same as the factory brembos and they dust quite a bit. The ceramics have much lower initial bite and a lower temp range typically, so they don't respond as well to repeated stops and high heat. something to think about.

demas

Established Member
What about running wilwood (rotors, pads and callipers) in the front and factory pads in rear?

noldevin

Established Member
If you're going to run different brakes/pads front and back you're generally going to want to lean towards more front bias (less bite in the rear, more in the front)
You never want the rears to lock up or hit ABS first.

demas

Established Member
If you're going to run different brakes/pads front and back you're generally going to want to lean towards more front bias (less bite in the rear, more in the front)
You never want the rears to lock up or hit ABS first.

What does it actually mean man?

Paul.

Established Member
I'm running some AutoZone ceramic pads out back (Duralast maybe?) with 13/14 Shelby brakes all around. They don't make too much dust, have a lifetime warranty, and I certainly have no problems stopping. Not even after hot-lapping the car at 1/2 mile racing events and stomping on the brakes repeatedly from 140+ MPH.

Paul.

blownby

Established Member
I have hears lots of great things about duralast Gold ceramic brakes for daily drivers to performance cars....
No I wouldn't do them for a autocross, but spirited street machines and some 1/4 or 1/2 mile stuff ..definitely

Paul.

Established Member
Frankly, I think most "forum people" tend to overthink the brake pad discussion. Everything thinks they need ultra-race pads because they're all Mario Andretti diving off the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Gimme a brake. (see what I did there?)

Modern brakes are so good that regular pads will do just fine for 99.99% of people. The only time I've needed real race pads was for a full-tilt racecar running 20+ minute sessions at a racetrack, and that was a long time ago before Mustangs had huge brakes with giant calipers and heavy rotors.

Paul.

noldevin

Established Member
Frankly, I think most "forum people" tend to overthink the brake pad discussion. Everything thinks they need ultra-race pads because they're all Mario Andretti diving off the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Gimme a brake. (see what I did there?)

Modern brakes are so good that regular pads will do just fine for 99.99% of people. The only time I've needed real race pads was for a full-tilt racecar running 20+ minute sessions at a racetrack, and that was a long time ago before Mustangs had huge brakes with giant calipers and heavy rotors.

Paul.

I can say you will definitely cook just about any street pad if you bring your mustang to a track for 20 minute sessions (racecar or not). Yes, the factory Brembos are awesome, but these are heavy cars with lots of power.
Some street pads are better than others, I've had street pads that didn't like hot-lapping the 1/4 mile track on a rental day, and some can baaaarely pull off an HPDE session if you aren't going nuts.

Paul.

Established Member
I can say you will definitely cook just about any street pad if you bring your mustang to a track for 20 minute sessions (racecar or not).

Yes, that's why I said this...

The only time I've needed real race pads was for a full-tilt racecar running 20+ minute sessions at a racetrack...

The number of people on this forum who are both asking what brake pads to use AND running HPDE is very small. Ergo, normal street pads will work just fine.

Paul.

cjd223

Established Member
I run slotted and drilled fronts from Amazon. $151 a pair delivered. Installed $12 semi metallic pads. Car will stand on it's nose at the end of the 1/4 - 132+mph. Very little dust.

Users who are viewing this thread