Need quick help - Nitto NT01 pressures?

Conechaser

Established Member
I know it's last minute... but I'm doing a track day tomorrow and I will be on Nitto NT01 for the first time. Any base line pressures I should start at? Optimum hot pressures? Tires are 275/40/17 on 9" rims. Car is a 97 GT with 2.3 neg camber and just a hint of toe out.

Thanks! :beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have run Avons and Hoosiers. I usually use a staggared inflation. I start with 34 front and 32 rear, cold. I try to shoot for 40 hot.

MFE

Established Member
I'd shoot for 38 hot, I'm pretty sure that's where I ran mine but I can't find my notes. I started much higher and backed down on the advice of others, and it seemed to work.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
I have to run my Nitto NT01s higher than my Avon Tech Rs. At GingerMan I was running 36.5 front and 35.5 rear (cold). I believe they were around 42 hot.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Well, what was the final outcome? I may use the NT01 tires sometime. Let us know what you ended up with and how you liked it.

Conechaser

Established Member
Thanks for the help and info. I found a couple of guys at the track who had run them before as well and they had the same info as posted... 34 cold and 40 hot. I've run Victoracers on my Civic and Neon for years so that is the grip that I'm used to. I've run a few track days now in the Mustang with my Dunlop Star Spec street tires and also a day with a hybrid set up of Hoosiers on the front and V710s on the back (they were free tires). I found that for an "R" tire the Nitto's sang like a street tire. They also didn't have the grip I thought they would have, I think I may have had the same grip with my Dunlop Star Specs?? It was much harder to hit my marks and I had quite a bit more on throttle over steer with them.

When they're gone I'll be replacing them with something different.

Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Thanks for the help and info. I found a couple of guys at the track who had run them before as well and they had the same info as posted... 34 cold and 40 hot. I've run Victoracers on my Civic and Neon for years so that is the grip that I'm used to. I've run a few track days now in the Mustang with my Dunlop Star Spec street tires and also a day with a hybrid set up of Hoosiers on the front and V710s on the back (they were free tires). I found that for an "R" tire the Nitto's sang like a street tire. They also didn't have the grip I thought they would have, I think I may have had the same grip with my Dunlop Star Specs?? It was much harder to hit my marks and I had quite a bit more on throttle over steer with them.

When they're gone I'll be replacing them with something different.

Again, thanks for the help!

Did you get many laps on them? My Nitto NT01s were garbage the first time out (30 min. session). The second session they were much improved. Then I bumped up the air pressure and they became better than my Avon Tech Rs. Did you check hot tire temps? That is why I bumped up my air pressures so that the tire temp across the tread would even out.

Just my two cents of advice. Hopefully this helps.

MFE

Established Member
NT01's took 4 seconds off my lap times at HPT compared to my Dunlop Star Specs. Yes, they cried and sang, no, they didn't feel faster, but the clock didn't lie.

Conechaser

Established Member
Did you get many laps on them? My Nitto NT01s were garbage the first time out (30 min. session). The second session they were much improved. Then I bumped up the air pressure and they became better than my Avon Tech Rs. Did you check hot tire temps? That is why I bumped up my air pressures so that the tire temp across the tread would even out.

Just my two cents of advice. Hopefully this helps.

I did 3 25 minute sessions on them. I only checked pressures as I don't have a pyrometer to check tire temps.

Conechaser

Established Member
NT01's took 4 seconds off my lap times at HPT compared to my Dunlop Star Specs. Yes, they cried and sang, no, they didn't feel faster, but the clock didn't lie.

I would have to do back to back sessions between the Dunlops and Nittos to eliminate any weather or set up differences, but they felt pretty similiar. I'll agree that the NT01's were better than the Star Specs... but they were also 275/40/17 vs the 245/45/17 Dunlops.

I had no opportunity to run times on Sunday as the organizers were quite explicit on this for insurance reasons. (it was the Woodhouse track experience weekend)

Users who are viewing this thread