need pro-motion trans input

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
i just got off the phone with walt at pro-motion, talked to him about a t45 for my car. the original t45 suffered the 3-4 shift fork problem, and the t3650 i got to replace it is now stuck in 4th. so my question is, how do you guys rate the t45 from ProMotion? he said the 26 spline input and gorilla shift forks are pretty stout, has anyone had problems with these? i just want to make sure before i drop $2k on a "built" trans

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

my input shaft and cluster gear after 1300 miles and about 7 trips down the quarter mile
:(

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
the shift forks will handle a ton, the input shaft will be your weak link, plenty have had issues with them in the "built" T45' and T56's
the input shaft is the first thing that take the hit.

my blew up on a 3-4 shift at the track on my street tune and tires(about 660rwhp at the time)

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
I still have it sitting on my bench if you want to buy and input shaft and cluster gear(about 300 bucks worth of parts) you can buy mine and save yourself alot of money?

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Was yours "CRYO'D" ?? I have a Cryo'd Promotion "TOP GUN" T-45. All it has is dyno time on it so far. The straig cut gears make noisy as hell but I dont mind. Shifts like butter....Im sure Ill have more to say down the road.

Last edited:

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
mine is a stock motor and will NOT be going twin turbo lol most this will ever see is 450ish with my vortech IF i install it, and he recommended the 26 spline input
I still have it sitting on my bench if you want to buy and input shaft and cluster gear(about 300 bucks worth of parts) you can buy mine and save yourself alot of money?

pm on its way

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
if you match that trans up with a softer clutch it should last a long long time.

they blamed my failure on my twin disc clutch.
but really the way i look at it, I bought a 750 hp rated trans, it should handle 650 all day, I dont care how hard the clutch hits.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Was yours "CRYO'D" ?? I have a Cryo'd Promotion "TOP GUN" T-45. All it has is dyno time on it so far. The straig cut gears make noisy as hell but I dont mind. Shifts like butter....Im sure Ill have more to say down the road.

yeah i got every bell and whistle they offered, cause i told him i was going to put twins on it when i bought it. ( it had a D1sc on it when i bought it)

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
if you match that trans up with a softer clutch it should last a long long time.

they blamed my failure on my twin disc clutch.
but really the way i look at it, I bought a 750 hp rated trans, it should handle 650 all day, I dont care how hard the clutch hits.

Isnt the twin disk supposed to be better on the drivetrain/tranny/rear end? Thats what Walt reccomended for me too. Im using the Mcloed twin disk.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Isnt the twin disk supposed to be better on the drivetrain/tranny/rear end? Thats what Walt reccomended for me too. Im using the Mcloed twin disk.

not according to wally@ promotion, they say it grabs TO hard, therefore putting a ton more strain on the rest of the drivetrain, if you have a clutch that will forgive/slip it will take the punishment rather than the trans or rear.

which makes sense to me too. i just hated how heavy the single disc one was that i got from them was, so i opted to get the bad boy of clutches and the input shaft only lasted 300 miles after that:(

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
this is the run it broke on,
I think i ran 11.4 still:)

[ame=http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/no_slow_svt/?action=view&current=j-vs-talon.flv]
th_j-vs-talon.jpg
[/ame]

that talon was all wheel drive with 27psi of boost

Last edited:

st4ng07

Established Member
Why cant anybody make a decent trans? I have had nothing but problem with super notchy shifts on my TKO500 and it does not like shifting above 5500rpms. Im hoping I solved the issue, come to find out my bulkhead is flexing with each application of the clutch. Just graduated college today and monday I start my full time job so Ill finally have money and time to start fixing things and modding yay!

SVECobraR

Established Member
I had the same problem as No Slow SVT, i had every upgradeable part by promotion installed by a Tremec's So Cal authorized facility, i had everything cryo treated and the tranny lasted about 1200 miles, if that.

Same failure as No slows, but i'm only making 320hp at the wheels. I was using a centerforce DF clutch at the time with 315 gsd3's. They tried blamming it on the clutch, on the builder, on any stupid little thing they could.

They even told me that if the bell housing had a bur where it met the block, it won't sit flush, thus causing things to be misaligned and putting extra strain on the input shaft which will then destroy a 2200 tranny.

So the next time i got a promotion 3650 from kezell, and its been working perfectly since. I installed one of promotions "Custom" clutches with a 03 cobra PP and McLeoud clutch disk, with some stupid spacer, on the car and immediately after install i had a bad vibration in the clutch pedal. Low and behold the PP was defective, it has bent fingers on the PP so the TOB doesn't sit on it evenly. They told me if i were to remove it and send it to them they will give me a 15% discount on a new one.

I don't think i really need to post what i said to them, it should be pretty obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread