Need PC/internet help!

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Allright - I'm having some technical difficulties with my old Vaio laptop. I can't view any secure web-pages - E-Mail, my banks/ credit card, my school site, Facebook, etc. It's getting to be a PITA. I'm getting an error page advising me to check off ssl1, ssl2,and some other stuff, which I did - but it says to check PCT1.0, which I don't seem to have. Anyone know what the prob is or how to fix this?

Thanks in advance, I know there are some tech people on here.:thumbsup:

YELOSNK

Established Member
What browser are you using? Try installing another browser, and if you still get the message, then you know it isn't an incorrect setting in IE or firefox (or whatever you use). And by "check off" do you mean that you put a check next to ssl1 and ssl2, or that you took the check away (they should have the check)?

Last edited:

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I'm using IE. Here's the message: you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

I hope I don't have to change my browser,... I'm not great with computers.

Last edited:

YELOSNK

Established Member
CleanCobra said:
Here's the message: you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

I hope I don't have to change my browser, as I'm not great with computers.

For SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0, the boxes are checked, correct?

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Yeah, but there's no PCT1.0 box to check, and I think that's what's preventing me from opening the sites.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I would go into the options and set everything to default and make sure your privacy and security are only set at medium because it would be blocking some sites, etc.

YELOSNK

Established Member
WireEater said:
I would go into the options and set everything to default and make sure your privacy and security are only set at medium because it would be blocking some sites, etc.

What he said.

CleanCobra said:
Yeah, but there's no PCT1.0 box to check, and I think that's what's preventing me from opening the sites.

It's not PCT1.0. That isn't on my IE either (IE sucks, btw). If resetting everything to default doesn't work, go to download.com, download Mozilla Firefox and install and try that.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
IE 7 is a general screwup on XP. Seems ok with Vista.

IE 6xx or Firefox is fine.

I've been using Firefox for a long time with no issues at all. Quick, easy to download, even can transfer your fav's/bookmarks.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys - I'm going to DL firefox and see how it works.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread