Need opinions PLEASE

WannaB Cobra

Established Member
Ok well I have a 00 GT with 01 Cobra motor and :xpl: SHM stroker. Car does not perform like it should.:bash: So Im thinking of selling the shortblock and do another Shortblock a lil different, uses heads, different cams and a Supercharger. :shrug: Everything will run me close to $12k.:nonono: Would you take that $12k and put it down on an 03 Cobra and sell my current stang? My car is fine besudes that. It is auto not manual. It is also Paid off. I liek the fact my GT would kinda be like a wolf in sheeps clothes. Its fun saying I have and Auto as well. But I really like the 03 Cobra but honestly I never drove stick so a lil nervous bout driving the 03 cobra as my practice car.
Any opinions please thanks people

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Personally, I would get the cobra. Now if you just want speed than maybe you should put an 03 motor in the gt since it is so much lighter. But if it was up to me, I would go with the cobra.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I would get the Cobra. All other earlier mustangs really pail in comparison. Even in ride quality, quieter cabin, etc... it's just a better car!

n2fords2003

Established Member
drop in a cobra motor. YOU WILL HAVE A SOLID AXLE! the independant suspension is crap on the drag strip if thats something your into.

cobrabruce

Established Member
If you get a Cobra you should seriously think about buying some sort of beater with a stick shift to practice shifting on seeing how you never drove a stick before. Or you could swap an auto into the Cobra. Others have already done it.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
How about this:
'03 Cobra with simple mods (catback & CAI) > 400RWHP + 3/36000 warranty, and A/C. Driving a stick is not hard, being stuck in traffic is hard on the leg.

WannaB Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
drop in a cobra motor. YOU WILL HAVE A SOLID AXLE! the independant suspension is crap on the drag strip if thats something your into.

Before I sell my GT I could swap the rears :thumbsup:

WannaB Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrabruce
If you get a Cobra you should seriously think about buying some sort of beater with a stick shift to practice shifting on seeing how you never drove a stick before. Or you could swap an auto into the Cobra. Others have already done it.

Anotehr thing I can do swap the Tranny from GT to Cobra and sell a 6spd Gt with 03 Live axle and 01 Cobra motor :-D And put the Lentec AODE Strip in my Cobra. But I dunno a Cobra should be a Stick I would just have to be so damn stupid and get out and learn, damn I feel spoiled that I have to make this decision.

Thanks people :beer:

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I've been in and/or driven many different types of stangs from late 80's and up. Been in built 5.0's and S/C'ed 5.0's in both bodystyles, a converted-to-351 fox-body, a few Roush's, two Saleens (one S/C'd), '93 Cobra, '94 Cobra(pace car edition), '98 Cobra, '99 Cobra, '01 Cobra, and many others. The '03 is superior ALL AROUND. If you're looking at strictly straight-line, drag racing, the '03 may not be the car you will want in the end. If you are looking at a complete package...'03 Cobra hands down. Friend of mine had a '01 GT that he put a Vortec on, had the power but handled bad. He went to work on the handling, and made it "good enough". He got it where he was happy enough...then he drove an '03 and comented that it was exactly what he was trying to make his GT feel like, he is currently looking for a Redfire '03. As far as the 6-speed goes: I tought my wife to drive a stick in my '00 Contour SVT, and she says the '03 is so much easier to drive. It shouldn't be hard to learn, she liked it so much, it ended up being her car. Once you learn to drive a stick, you'll never want an auto again, I didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread