Need opinions on this nick on a Teksid block main

Shadow Z

Established Member
I had a main cap hopelessly stuck on and wedged it back and forth, the resulting burr that was nicked off was not even the thickness of a fingernail, but it worries me due to it's proximity to the main bearing. I'm not a professional engine builder. I'm totally unaware if this could have any long term effect on the seating of the bearing, a possible loss in oil pressure, etc. Typically any tolerances having anything at all to do with the main or rod bearings, even being like a ridiculously small .001" off, can hurt oil pressure and engine longevity. I've had two reputable people tell me it's nothing. One the owner of a machine shop.

I'm thinking my OCD is just overboard and the block is perfect. I do have good reason to worry, though. This is not a cheap build. Oliver billet rods, custom pistons, forged stroker crank, C heads, custom cams, billet twin 62s, etc. I can't sacrifice that over just getting another block. Most likely buying another anyway, but it would also be good to have some reassurance on using this block for my other GT's eventual TFS headed 2V build with a big single and an automatic. Thanks in advance for any insight/opinions.

10893652_768303016583030_2054017492_n.jpg

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
In my professional opinion, you have nothing worry about. Yes, the nick is near the divot for the tang which locks the upper bearing shell, but it should not pose a problem as the tang buts up against the mating surface of the main cap. As long as the divot is free of obstructions and the tang sits in there nicely, there shouldn't be a problem. I would gently file away the burr and be done with it. The resulting surface will not be a stress riser, nor will it cause an increase in wear or create oil pressure issue.

FYI, I'm a mechanical engineer with extensive experience in the base engine (longblocks) and I've built about 30-40 engines myself of various type and brand.

Users who are viewing this thread