Need Opinions on subwoofer for the 6 (10 vs 12)

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Im getting a subwoofer installed this weekend and I can't decide on which subwoofer to get. Im looking at a rockford fosgate sealed box and I can't decide on the 10 or the 12. A 200 watt amp will be pushing it.

Heres the 10
Rockford Fosgate® - R1L-1X10

The 12
Rockford Fosgate® - R1L-1X12

I just want some opinions on what everyone thinks I should go for. Im not entering any sound competitions so it doesn't have to god awful loud. I would go for sound quality before loudness. I just want a little bit extra bass in the car. I had a 10 inch jl audio in the mustang and thought it was plenty loud. I listen to mostly rock and some hip hop/ rap. Any advice would be much appreciated.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Get the 10. I listen to mostly rock and a little hip hop just like you and I have a 10 in my Lightning and it's more than enough, IMO.

CSD

Banned
^ I agree. I have had ten inchers and twelve inchers and the tens suffice if you're going after sound quality.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I bought (from a friends auto parts on line store) some of what are supposed to be Rockford Fosdate direct swap speakers for my Terminator. I haven't installed these yet. Are these good speakers, or at least better then the stock units??? I never listened to them, so I have no idea what they sound like. I only paid $100 for all four of them so it's really not a big deal, I just don't want to pay to have the work of swapping them done to only find out they're no better or worse then the stock speakers. Anyone know??? Sorry to hijack if that what this is!!!

CSD

Banned
Mike, I once had a set of Rockford Fosgate's and had no issues or complaints. Sound quality was great. I also like JL audio, great quality that company puts out.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Mike, I once had a set of Rockford Fosgate's and had no issues or complaints. Sound quality was great. I also like JL audio, great quality that company puts out.

Well, I guess I've got a weekend project!!!
:beer::beer::beer:

Vrointhk06

Established Member
its not going to hit any harder because its a 10 or a 12. if you listen to some hip hop you'll be happier with the 12 because it will reach the lower frequencies that the 10 can't.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I had a 10" Punch P1 in a Q-Logic box with a 400w Kicker amp in my cobra. Sounded awesome, couldnt be happier, and it was a cheap ass setup (i think $450 out the door from Crutchfield)

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
I had a 10" Punch P1 in a Q-Logic box with a 400w Kicker amp in my cobra. Sounded awesome, couldnt be happier, and it was a cheap ass setup (i think $450 out the door from Crutchfield)

just one sub? and stock speakers? im really thinking of going this route instead of 2 subs...you really like it?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
nah the original owner had installed some Pyle components all around, and a PrecisionPower amp to run them. Sounded great, but when i got it, it lacked all low end. I wanted a cheap and easily removable setup, and went the route i did.

I listen to mostly Tool, Classic and current Rock, and Vocal Trance, so insane amounts of low end was not what i wanted. However, since i had the amp just barely pushing out juice and controlled most the bass with the head unit (Alpine CDA9884, the $150 cheapo!), it had room for much more bass if i wanted to do so.

Kinda pissed i sold it with the car, as i am probably going to get pretty much the same setup on my Spyder, but maybe step it up to a P2 instead of a P1 due to the fact its a closed trunk thats also pretty small, and muffled from the cabin due to the vert stuff.

Honestly if you are all about Clarity over ungodly amounts of bass, a 10" will do you just fine.

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Rap = 12 (Deeper)
Rock = 10 (tight/punchy)
Sound Quality = Sealed (Deeper bass)
Most bass = Ported (Louder)

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Rap = 12 (Deeper)
Rock = 10 (tight/punchy)
Sound Quality = Sealed (Deeper bass)
Most bass = Ported (Louder)

i agree 100% with this, its why i run 2 12" kicker comp cvr's in my car in a ported box, but it still sounds good enough to listen to rock to me and packs enough punch to where when I crank it up, you can feel it. I love it

straightliner1

Established Member
Your overall sound quality and power handling are dependent on what type of box you choose and how big it is.

Small sealed box = high power handling
Large properly ported box = loud bass centered around the tuning freq of the port, but high rolloff otherwise.

I was in the mobile audio/video business for 15 years. I know ao thing or two.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
just one sub? and stock speakers? im really thinking of going this route instead of 2 subs...you really like it?

NO NO NO NO. Although rockford fosgate subs have good sound quality they are heavy.

My recommendation would be to go with a Kicker Compvr 12". It really depends on the type of music you listen to though. But with a good amp you can adjust it accordingly.

I personally listen to a lot of hip hop so I have a single solobaric L5 12" sub in my v6's trunk and that thing hits, but I'd say the Compvr's are more than adequate and they are light.

I've literally gone through about 3 or 4 complete sound system set ups in my v6 (and this summer in the Cobra finally!) with countless combination's and I can honestly tell you that the best over all sub is the kicker. Because of the mustang's limited trunk space, the weight, and the sound in the car (all of which I have first hand experience in) I can tell you the best way to go is compvr.

Also STAY AWAY FROM CRUTCHFIELD, it is stupid how much they over price all their stuff. I only go on there to check specs or look up new stuff, so you are better off going where I told you on 11th street!

OP:

+1 on what about2bite said, but you can still keep a 12" for rock if you have a solid EQ, and if you mate it with an epicenter a 12" will work perfect for absolutely all types of music.

Also since you said it was for your 6, then pretty much any sub that has been mentioned in this thread will do. If the mazda is a hatchback then I suggest you go with a sealed box, since ported boxes in hatch backs and suv's will make your throat and nose hair tickle too much, lol, unless of course you like that kind of bass. :coolman:

Just remember to stick with a solid brand, don't get none of those cheapo brands like pyle or hifonics or any of that other bullshit.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
I can't attest to having heard either of those boxes you listed, but I highly recommend the Kick Solo Baric. I have this ported box in my trunk laying down with the woofer facing up, and it pounds.

Amp: Rockford Fosgate P.500.1
Woofer: Kicker S10L7

replacementL7.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I can't attest to having heard either of those boxes you listed, but I highly recommend the Kick Solo Baric. I have this ported box in my trunk laying down with the woofer facing up, and it pounds.

Amp: Rockford Fosgate P.500.1
Woofer: Kicker S10L7

replacementL7.jpg

I'd also recommend a Solo-baric. I had an 8" L7 in a homemade box in my civic back in the day. That thing would shake the whole car easily with a small amp.

Users who are viewing this thread