Need opinions on buffing out some spots

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Ok guys this will be hard to see but I will post up some pics. It is on the hood, roof and trunk. Im thinking they are hard water spots. What I am wondering is can they be buffed out or is that a wetsand job? I am using m105/205, orange/white hex pads on my porter cable. Idk if my technique is bad or what but after I use the 105 I dont really see the hazing some people talk about? Anyway, here are the spots.

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

hoamskilet

Established Member
I would think it should buff out with 105. Always a good idea to start out with the least aggressive method first to see if will work anyway. If what you have doesn't work, there's also more aggressive pads you can try before resorting to wet sanding

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Right I tried it on my orange pad. Maybe I need a yellow? I just sealed it and covered it for the winter. Going to do some work on it come spring so Im not going to worry about polishing it up nice till the work is done. I will try a few more passes on it come spring. Either the material Im using isnt working or my technique is bad.

Troponin

Established Member
Always a good idea to start out with the least aggressive method first to see if will work anyway. If what you have doesn't work, there's also more aggressive pads you can try before resorting to wet sanding

Pretty much what I was going to mention. I have a little more experience than most in this area, and I would probably have ended up going with a heavy wool pad and a gritty compound though. Spots like that are almost always very difficult to get out without aggressive buffing and/or wet sanding. Remember though, the more aggressive you go with buffing, the more clean up work you have to do to get the shine back and without swirls. For instance, when I would use a heavy grit with wool pad, I would have to follow up with a medium abrasive compound and light wool pad next, then on to foam pads with a rubbing compound or polish, then a finishing glaze. It can be a long process, but the results are well worth it.

I have probably buffed 500 or more cars in my life.

Last edited:

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
There is a variety of "aggressive" pads you can use with your PC
Megs microfiber cutting pad, Xtracut mf, CarPro Flash Pad etc.
Are you using a 5" backing plate and 5-5.5" pads?

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Yea orange 5.5 pad with m105. I might order a yellow pad and try that when I get the car back out come spring before I go to aggressive

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
Other aggressive pads I've had good results with are
the Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads
and
the Meguiars DMX5 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Ok I will check them out as well. Thanks for the help. At first I thought I just wasnt doing it right but the more I read I find out that water spots are a pain to get out.

Users who are viewing this thread