Need opinions on a vortech for my mach 1

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
I had a 2004 gt with a vortech v1 stock bottom end on 10 1/2 lbs of boost making 400/400 car lasted for ever I sold it and it still runs. I now have a 04 mach 1 with kooks longtubes and full exhaust thinking about getting a vortech v3 for her. What will the motor handle? Ive heard different numbers. I may even get new rods and pistons but im confortable with it making 500 if it can? Any input is welcome. Would you guys put a blower on it or spray it? Car only has 60k miles on it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
450rwhp is the general consensus. But really it can let go at any time. A lot depends on the tune and how you drive. Mine popped 7 and 8 getting on the freeway. I wasn't even in boost.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Im running a V3 Si Trim on 10-11lbs of boost on my 03 mach 1 motor i swapped in for the last 3 years making 480 whp reliably, Daily driven the first 2 years with track events and this last year it has been just driven on weekends and track events. Its been driven very hard but also had all the routine maintenance done like Torco SR-1 oil changes every 2-3k miles. Plus im sure the tune is the biggest reason why it runs so good and is a still running. This motor has 120k miles on it as well.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Im running a V3 Si Trim on 10-11lbs of boost on my 03 mach 1 motor i swapped in for the last 3 years making 480 whp reliably, Daily driven the first 2 years with track events and this last year it has been just driven on weekends and track events.

That's why I said the general consensus. Some people have no issues and others blow up the first time they drive it.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
That's why I said the general consensus. Some people have no issues and others blow up the first time they drive it.
Whats funny too is before i got this mach motor its was in my buddies car with a 125 and 150 shot of nitrous for a year. This motor has been great.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Whats funny too is before i got this mach motor its was in my buddies car with a 125 and 150 shot of nitrous for a year. This motor has been great.

Then I guess you're one of the lucky ones I was referring to. I wasn't so lucky. Mine popped after a few thousand miles of being boosted.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
My 96 Cobra factory internals only last for 3 months making 467 to the wheels, with a great tune, and 52,000 miles. But, you gotta pay to play sometimes. Drive it til it goes, then build it better.

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Then I guess you're one of the lucky ones I was referring to. I wasn't so lucky. Mine popped after a few thousand miles of being boosted.

Its all in the tuning and maintenance. Im running 10-11lbs of boost but only running 8 degrees of timing on 91 octane. Only issue ive had was a blown out spark plug but that is common and was fixed.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I have 88k miles, 6,000 with boost so far. 10lbs boost, 13 degrees timing on 93 and still truckin along.

I have seen people push well past the general threshold of 450rwhp, while others blow up at 400. I'd suggest keeping it safe over sorry. One bad tank of gas could equal getting a new motor.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
it's all in the tune. JMS tuned a bone stock motor with a JT trim that did 600 rwhp and the guy ran it for multiple season. I have also seen people grenade these motors at 400 rwhp. Personally there are only about a dozen folks in this country I would let tune my car. People say, "oh, it's a pain to have to travel 200 miles for a tune. Thats not a headache to me...my pistons and rods shooting all over freeway is a real headache. Bear in mind, the crank and block on these cars are a work of art. If you throw these pistons, you just added another 500-1000 bucks to the rebuild.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Im running a V3 Si Trim on 10-11lbs of boost on my 03 mach 1 motor i swapped in for the last 3 years making 480 whp reliably, Daily driven the first 2 years with track events and this last year it has been just driven on weekends and track events. Its been driven very hard but also had all the routine maintenance done like Torco SR-1 oil changes every 2-3k miles. Plus im sure the tune is the biggest reason why it runs so good and is a still running. This motor has 120k miles on it as well.

From all the research I have done this is key, the tune and maintenance. I am in the process of adding a Vortech V3 to my 98 Cobra. I will be traveling over 2 hours to get my car tuned. The tune is critical.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
I appreciate all the feed back guys, im actually getting manley rods and pistons for her. Gonna forge it up before i limit my self power wise.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I appreciate all the feed back guys, im actually getting manley rods and pistons for her. Gonna forge it up before i limit my self power wise.

That's a good plan. Wish I had done that. Would have saved me money and headaches.

Last edited:

procharged 99

Established Member
My bone stock 99 cobra motor is making 565 at the wheels with e85 and a d1sc right now. It's only been a week since the dyno tune though.

SVTPete83

Established Member
My bone stock 99 cobra motor is making 565 at the wheels with e85 and a d1sc right now. It's only been a week since the dyno tune though.

Bone stock? Lol. Peoples version of bone stock sure have changed through the years. If u are making 565 to the wheels on stock engine internals your time is limited sir. Best of luck to you

procharged 99

Established Member
Bone stock? Lol. Peoples version of bone stock sure have changed through the years. If u are making 565 to the wheels on stock engine internals your time is limited sir. Best of luck to you

Yes it has bone stock internals I know it's a time bomb but it is to fun to drive to turn it down lol.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
My engine let go on me and i was only making a little over 400rwhp with #8's and barely any timing. It is true that the tune can make or break you depending but really once you go beyond 450rwhp you might as well be rolling the dice. I wish I had spent the money on a built long block first as opposed to a blower. I would probably still be driving my car right now if that were the case.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Yes it has bone stock internals I know it's a time bomb but it is to fun to drive to turn it down lol.

I hope you don't take your crank and block with you when it goes. Cause it's gonna. And at that power level, it's probably gonna be catastrophic.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
My engine let go on me and i was only making a little over 400rwhp with #8's and barely any timing. It is true that the tune can make or break you depending but really once you go beyond 450rwhp you might as well be rolling the dice. I wish I had spent the money on a built long block first as opposed to a blower. I would probably still be driving my car right now if that were the case.

Sucks man, sorry to hear. Who tuned your car? I want to know who to stay away from lol

Users who are viewing this thread