Need opinions. '07 Shelby or keep the '04 and go 10's?

Go 10's or sell for the Shelby?

• '07 Shelby/Cobra

Votes: 54 30.3%
  • Keep the '04 and go 10's

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • It's a toss up

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • Quit crying, at least you have the choice

Votes: 29 16.3%

• Total voters

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I know, I know. To some of you this wouldn't be much of a dilemma. But it's tearing me apart. My wife could care less, but she wants me to get the new car. Probably just because it'd be new. But then one of my good buds refuses to let me sell my '04 Cobra. He says we've got too much history in it already and there's a TON of things we could do to unlock even more potential out of the car. I agree, but I don't know what to do.

If I keep the '04, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get it into the 10s at altitude and still drive it when I want to. I also have subframe connectors and a couple of other parts I've yet to install. But I love the new Stangs and the new Shelby is the answer to my prayers. It looks badass, has a killer motor with a solid axle, and the chassis is supposedly much, much stiffer. I guess one of the biggest problems is that I haven't even ridden in a new Mustang yet. Maybe I'll hate them from a driving standpoint. I doubt it, but there's always that possibility. I also don't like the fact that the new car is supposed to be even heavier than this pig Cobra I already own. Help me out people!

I think I'm just getting bummed because I haven't put any mods on the '04 in a while, mostly because the decision was to buy a new Shelby. I didn't want to continue dumping money in the Terminator if I'm going to sell it in the next six months. But now I'm having second thoughts and I'm dying to order up some more parts. But then again, every time I look at the Shelby concept I say to myself, "Screw the '04!" What do I do??? Any opinions are welcome.

Keep the 04' to honor the 03/04 cobras as one of the baddest add factory produced cars........and go 10's. Give the new Shelby's a while to hit the road and work out the bugs in the new motor. Dont sell the 04'. If I had the money, I would jump on it!

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I would wait for the bugs to be ironed out, maybe prices to drop (unless you absolutely have to buy new)...but I would definitely get the Shelby if I were you. It sounds like you won't really be content in the '04 driving around - even with a 10-second machine - when you see a Shelby... Why not be 100% happy with your ride?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I'd wait a year till they fix all the bugs in the 07 and buy a new shelby. I dont care what you biased terminator owners say!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Jinxd4.6 said:
I know, I know. To some of you this wouldn't be much of a dilemma. But it's tearing me apart. My wife could care less, but she wants me to get the new car. Probably just because it'd be new. But then one of my good buds refuses to let me sell my '04 Cobra. He says we've got too much history in it already and there's a TON of things we could do to unlock even more potential out of the car. I agree, but I don't know what to do.

If I keep the '04, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get it into the 10s at altitude and still drive it when I want to. I also have subframe connectors and a couple of other parts I've yet to install. But I love the new Stangs and the new Shelby is the answer to my prayers. It looks badass, has a killer motor with a solid axle, and the chassis is supposedly much, much stiffer. I guess one of the biggest problems is that I haven't even ridden in a new Mustang yet. Maybe I'll hate them from a driving standpoint. I doubt it, but there's always that possibility. I also don't like the fact that the new car is supposed to be even heavier than this pig Cobra I already own. Help me out people!

I think I'm just getting bummed because I haven't put any mods on the '04 in a while, mostly because the decision was to buy a new Shelby. I didn't want to continue dumping money in the Terminator if I'm going to sell it in the next six months. But now I'm having second thoughts and I'm dying to order up some more parts. But then again, every time I look at the Shelby concept I say to myself, "Screw the '04!" What do I do??? Any opinions are welcome.
\

I'm keeping my '04 knowing it will be the last Fox body model.
I'll wait until the second model year, then snag a GT 500 to add to my collection. :-D

BTW, '04 Cobra B/C Borla, Steeda cold air intake, Griggs GR-40 sans K-Member (coming soon), MGW's new orange shifter.

Last edited:
No brainer: keep the '04. I wouldn't give it away for the 2007 mainly because it's a new model and we don't know what potential problems there might be. If you are impressed by how the 07's are, then later on down the line you should get one or even get an '08 model if there is one. But why give away or get rid of the 2004 Cobra when you can run 10's? You can just keep building on it. Don't trade away all your hard work for a slower car that will cost you more.

Is majority going to be trading their cobra's every year they come out with a newer model cobra? 03/04 cobras are good as it is and can be upgraded if you want parts from newer cars like heads, bigger brakes, etc. not having to buy the entire car. Always know that for every few years the Cobra will always improve, always has. Hell, the next model Cobra after the '07 Shelby could be some '09 Cobra/ 600 factory HP so will everyonel trade in their Shelby's for that? I just think sometimes people need to stick with a car if they got it good and a 10 second quarter mile that is street legal is beyond amazing. If your car does 10 seconds in the quarter mile it will be and is faster then any stock factory car that will ever be released, lamborghini's, ferrari's, viper's, etc. so to get rid of that is redundant in my opinion.

Last edited:

csumt76

Established Member
IMO the 03-04 Cobra will be an Icon in muscle car history. Basically because of it's relatively cheap price compared to other cars with the same factory performance numbers. Finding an unmodified snake in 20 years will be next to impossible.

Keep the snake, the 07 is just going to be on par with many of the new HP war cars coming from around the world.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I'm keeping my 03. Just because new stuff comes out, doesn't mean you have to buy it. Plus I started up my MBA classes again. 800 bucks a class every nine weeks adds up to not giving a shit about cars anymore and just driving what you got.

Last edited:

tankerman1981

Established Member
I love the body styling of the new mustangs and the new shelby looks sooo mean but i would keep the cobra... the 03/04 will be a icon for awhile still i mean it;s the "Terminator" for christs sake.... there will always be new cars coming out that you will want... let them work all the bugs out first

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Keep the '04 and wait and see how the GT500 does in the reliability department. I've always done well to stay away from the first run of a new model. They typically work out the major kinks by the second or third year.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
I'am going to keep my 03 cobra it's a great car with lots of potential and rock soild motor even with light moddes it's a very fast car.And how fast do you really have to go? I love mine!!

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I say 07 Cobra just not because of its power or anything that it has on paper as of yet, because I'm sure you can easily top a stock one mods to the 04 cobra. I say 07 Cobra because of the fact that the new chassis is so far superior to the 04 Cobras. I've driven an 03 Cobra and an 05 and I can confidently say I liked the handling much better on the 05. The 05 felt almost like a BMW, it was so smooth you never feel the bumps the way I did on the cobra. The 05 just has a much better overall feel to it, something I can't really describe here you just have to drive.

The difference is drastic enough that I compare it to driving my 70 mustang vs driving my 98 Cobra. The 04 cobra feels clunky when comparing to the 05 GT alot like my 70 feels clunky compared to my 98 cobra.

Paul

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
give me your 04 and i'll kick you in the nuts and we'll call it even....

ha ha, put in a few extra hours and have both!!! the 07 will do 10's with only a few mods

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I'vs owned a 86 GT, a 90 5.0 LX, a 94 GT ragtop and now a 03 Cobra.
I think the new stangs are bloated looking (my opinion), and the interiors are not that great................but the Shelby will be a collectors car, and since it will be limited production, you better have really deep pockets.
If they can get 250,000 for a GT on ebay, they should have no problem getting 65,000 for a Shelby 500........ :fm:

Keep the 04 and mod the hell out of it! :pop:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Wow, I didn't think I'd get this many responses. I really appreciate everyone's opinion. I haven't been able to use the internet at my house for a couple of days, so I'm logging on at work. I think I finally made a decision, though. I still would like to have a Shelby someday, but I'm going to hang on to the '04 for a while. I might go for the '08 model, but I'll have the '04 for at least 2 more years regardless. I figure with a few more small mods I can get in the 10's at altitude, and there aren't many street cars in Colorado and Wyoming that can run with that. I plan on doing the cooling mod, some bigger pumps (so that I can spray a full 150 shot), a ported blower, Billetflow throttle body and inlet, and put my 4# lower, subframe connectors and heat exchanger on that I've had for 6 months. I should be close at that point, but I might do a solid axle if I need some more hook. Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to go order some parts. :burnout:

spinscan

Established Member
I'm keeping my 03 because not only is it a great performer but it is also the best looking Stang ever built imo.
I may get an 07 but it will be later down the line. I will keep the 03 though.

Users who are viewing this thread