need nitrous help

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Alright nitrous guru's I need some input. I'm not new to nitrous but I'm not an expert either, I've always used it from a racers perspective but now I want to learn more about it from a tuning perspective. I currently have a NOS universal single nozzle kit on my car and it works fine but I want to try a different kit and slowly learn how to tune the car myself. My question is how to tune nitrous basically? Example my current set was running a little to rich with the recommended jets when I was on the dyno. The tuner corrected it but but my question is if it's rich with recommended fuel jets would it be better to go down one fuel jet or up on the nitrous jets as long as the tune and motor are still safe? I know that a lot of things come into play when tuning I'm just trying to get an idea of the basics and learn more about nitrous as a whole. Also I plan on ordering the beginner course from the tuning school if anyone has any input on the course please share

NitrousExpress

Established Member
You can lean or richen the nitrous system off of fuel jet size, or lowering and raising fuel pressure. Tuning a wet system is pretty simple, just pull timing and make sure you have the right jets and enough fuel supply.

A dry system you have to also pull timing, but you have to richen the motor through the injectors with a dry system and that is where it can get more complicated.

A wideband is a great tuning tool but spark plugs can tell you way more about the nitrous tune up than anything else will. Spark plugs reading will be your number one tool for getting the tune up dialed in.

Thanks,
Garrett

nate-roth

Established Member
Adjusting the air/fuel ratio with fuel jets is the wrong way to achieve proper fueling in the Coyote applications. Normally, yes this is one way to tune nitrous kits - use a wideband and adjust fuel jets up or down to achieve the desired air/fuel.

The coyote is closed loop fueling, meaning that the computer will try and compensate for the fuel it is seeing from the wet kit. You must a have a nitrous specific tune with the desired air to fuel in the tune.

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info. That's I've been hearing that the old tricks for tuning don't work with the coyote applications. Now I must Google and find some info on reading plugs and how to adjust accordingly

nate-roth

Established Member
You need a nitrous specific tune. See BBR, Lund, AED, JMS, etc. Reading plugs and "adjusting accordingly" wont work. The car needs a tune designed for the type of nitrous (wet or dry). Is "the delta" in your avatar mean Mississippi? If so take a trip to JMS in South, MS and have them set you up with a tune.

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
I have a tune for my current setup I'm going to change my kits and I want to learn how to tune myself. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what works with the coyote setup so I can make adjustments and learn.

dennisn

Established Member
With a nitrous tune you still need to read plugs as well as work with jetting and nitrous pressures. Your tune cannot Adjust everything for you.

Users who are viewing this thread