Need New Tires...Help!!

Hercules331

Established Member
So I need to get new tires on the cobra because Im having alot of rubbing problems. Shes running 18x9,18x10 FR500 wheels with 275/35/18 up front and 285/35/18 in the back. The rears also have a 1 in spacer.

Now the main reason Im having problems is because the car is so low. Its lowered 2 inches all around with Super Sport GT springs in the front and Sport Cobra springs for the IRS in the back.

Now I want to go with a wider tire in the back since 285 is so skinny. With a wider tire I wont need the spacers and I think deleting the spacers will fix the rubbing problem.

Also, the wheel/tire setup as it is now creates a larger wheel overall diameter than stock. Stock overall diameter is 25.66 inches (with stock 275/40/17). My front diameter is now 25.57 and my rear is 25.85. This 25.85 is also contributing to the rubbing.

When going in a straight line I dont have a problem with the front tires, but sometimes when I turn the wheel all the way I think I hear rubbing. With the rear tires, when I go over a bump or accelerate and the rear of the car presses down, the tires rub against the wheel well so much that the tires are getting cuts and grooves in the rubber.

So basically what Im asking is, What are the best tires to go with this setup? I think the fronts are ok but in the rear I would like to move up to 295s or maybe even 305s. Keep in mind that I will remove the spacers with wider tires. Thanks for any help!!

SpectorV

Established Member
the 10 inch wide FR500s are about .25 inches less back spacing than my TF mach 5's (mine are 6 inch back spacing on a 10 inch wide rim aka 4 inches of my rim sit out from where my rim mounts to the rotor) and I have NO issues with any rubbing at all.

You are at like 6.3 back spacing so you can run a .3 inch spacer and get a fender flush look, it will look better IMO (look at 04sleeper's TF Victory wheels those are the fitment you will have in the rear IF your current rims are 6.3 back spacing in the back with a .3 inch spacer.)

If you are lowered you might have to roll the fenders, I didnt have to with my H&R race the springs are stiff enough to keep me from hitting the fender (and believe me I have tried to hit it lol)

just fyi if you do run a spacer

Users who are viewing this thread