Need new Rubber - and advise...

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
I'm going to purchase some new rubber for street driving and I need some advise/opinions.

My latest project for my snake has been doing every thing possible to 'cure' my terrible wheel hop. I've added the MM IRS bushing, Steeda rear diff bushings, and I'm about to purchase Hp by Herman shocks. The final part of my effort is focused around getting some better rubber.

I'm currently running Perelli (295/30 18's) on my Y2K Cobra R's. I have a feeling that the 30 series tire is part of the reason that my wheel hop is so violent. There's just not enough sidewall on the tire to allow for some 'grip'. Plus the rubber compound on the tire is very hard.

I'm planning on running some Nitto 555's on the rear. From what I can tell, the Nitto rubber is a little softer than my Perellis so it should grip a little better?

Here's my question(s):

1) Could the Perelli 295/30 series tire be part of my 'bad' wheel hop problem because the side wall is just to thin?

2) I've narrowed down the Nitto tire size(s) to the following. I'm not sure which one to get? Remember, my primary reason for changing my tires is to combat wheel hop.
  • 255/45 ZR 18 (25.08" from bottom to top of tire)
  • 265/35 ZR 18 (25.28" from bottom to top of tire)
  • 275/40 ZR 18 (26.61" from bottom to top of tire)
  • 285/35 ZR 18 (25.95" from bottom to top of tire)

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

lethal

Established Member
I use the tires in my sig. I love Nitto's. I don't experience much wheel hop, but then again I added the pulley after these tires were on. They grip the road well, low noise, great in water and track like a mofo. Also, the wheel/tires really fill in the wheel well.

Just my .02. These are waay better then the stockers, but I cannot comment on the comparison to Pirelli's.

John

Edit: Oh, and I went with the same size tire on all four corners, so I could easily rotate the tires.

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
Nitto DRs, 555R, is what I have & they hook awesomely!
The DRs will have a softer sidewall which may be able to take some of the initial take-off shock better...

I wouldn't buy those shocks -- just go for coil overs. MM if you can afford them with race valve shocks and change the ride height while you're at it :thumbsup: but it looks like you've already invested in springs :(

stangfan

Established Member
Thanks for the replies fellas.

lethal - That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Quick question though... Is your car lowered? I have the Steeda sport springs (appx. 1" lower in front and rear). Would the 275/40 rims rub? Especially up front?

coleman - Thanks for the response. I will also be purchasing a set of DR's for the track. I can't see driving around town - to/from work with DR's in the rain. As far as the coil over sugesstion goes - if my current plan dosen't work (IRS, rear diff, adjustable shocks, sticky tires) I'm sure that's what I'll try next. Can you just buy coil-over shocks for the rear only?

Keep the replies comming... Especially those of you with 18 X 9 1/2" rims.

stangfan

Established Member
ttt.

Come on gang...

I'm hoping that some guys/gals (sorry racerat ;-) ) with 18" rims & 'lowering' springs will reply to this... I know that there are more than two of you out there...

:beer:

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Stangfan...I don't have 18's but I have all the other stuff (shocks, bushings, subframes, coupe (stiffer) springs) and have tried several different tires including Nitto DRs on the street. Wheel hop is still there. The verts are much worse than the coupes for some reason. I thought I had it licked till the weather cooled down again and the hop came back with a vengence. :shrug:

lethal

Established Member
Sorry to get back so late, my car is not lowered, but I think even if I did lower the car 1" it would fit and look great. I can't go do it now cuz I'm in Atlanta for the weekend. I'll be back tomorrow morning, and will post in the afternoon.

John

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Hey stang, I'll give you the info I have. In stock form, my car hopped like a toad. All kinds of problems. I lowered it, got the CC plates and put on the 18's in the same day so I don't know which helped most, but, I have NEVER had wheel hop since. With street tires or DR's. Can't say why, just can tell you what I did. No bushings here, I know for a fact they don't help too much. Sorry, but that's all I can tell you!

davidmax

Established Member
I'm using M/T street ok grab and automatic and solid 8.8" with 410's.For traction anything but the 11.5" slicks are a joke about 900 poniesand a 4500 stall converter that because of the extra stroker tqe.moves out and launches at 6000 rpm.
I am sidelined because of a radiator cap I found the same 16 Lb. Stant Sean Hyland put on lasted 4 minutes before bellowing steam.
I'm going to find a cap and go drag racing with my slicks wed. night come heck or high watter.Can youv imagine a 130k car sidelined by aa 4.00 part,ONLY ME!!,Dave Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread