Need new carrier?

Crimson Fox

Established Member
So my mechanic says I need a new carrier in the rear. Ever since we put in the 4.10's there has been a nasty vibration. We have indexed the driveline, had the driveshaft balanced, balanced out all the wheels, ect, and it hasn't fixed the problem. The mechanic said that when he was in there he was a little concerned with the carrier, but nothing too terrible.
Do you guys think that is what the problem is, or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks.

Nick

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i've never heard of a carrier out of balance. These cars (IRS) just develop a lot of vibes when changing gears. If you try searching for "vibe" in the forum you'll find many different solutions and guesses.

Unless you have some cracks somewhere in the carrier that doesn't appear like it could be the culprit. Let me share something with you...I recently had a vibe that was completely elimimated. I even helped index the driveshaft and everything when I switched up to 4.56 gears. I was having a vibe with my 4.10s after installing an MM alum. diff kit. Pinion angle was where it had to be set. The gears had about 95k on them though. After putting in a new diff. & 4.56 gears + 03 Cobra half shafts...the vibe was completely gone.

What I'm getting at here is that in my case it appeared that the vibe may have come from something coming out of spec in the gear install over time because the pinion angle didn't change when I did the new gears.

If the pinion angle is set properly, then you may have something that wasn't done correctly in the gear install. I know its tough to get a tuner to admit that they don't have the "hand of God' working on your car...but if this guy refuses to recheck his work...you may have to go to someone else to have a look at the gear setup.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
kxt said:
i've never heard of a carrier out of balance. These cars (IRS) just develop a lot of vibes when changing gears. If you try searching for "vibe" in the forum you'll find many different solutions and guesses.
Agreed.
Ford Tech has been having problems with IRS and their inherent vibrations since they started playing around with them on a number of Ford models.

That being said, they have yet to figure out that one of their problems is the pinion angle and the sorry arse OEM rubber they are using within the IRS component system. Overpaid numbskulls if you ask me, but hey...

The hypothetical scenerio here is that the "carrier" will be replaced because a mechanic, who is seemingly unknowledgeable on IRS and what Ford has tried to do to 'fix' the vibration problem--which only affects a few, has allegedly diagnosed that the vibration problem is because of a 'bad' "carrier" and once replaced, the vibration will still be there. Then what next from this alleged mechanic....the whole IRS needs to be replaced? :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread