Need mustang guru's to help out my buddy...(pics)

1.8t

Established Member
So my buddy slid into a curb last night and broke off the rear hub, axle, rotor on his drivers side. We have been going around today and getting estimates and so far everyone has quoted $1k+ to fix everything. They all keep saying that we can't just replace the drivers side axle/hub/etc, that the whole rear end needs to be replaced because the seals on that drivers side axle housing are probably busted and all it will do is leak grease. So based off of my pictures and your knowledge, what would be the cheapest way for him to get his car back on the road in good working condition? Its a 97 Mustang GT and it has abs(don't know if that matters). Are there any rearends that swap onto the car that can be picked up at a junkyard or any sites out there that sell parts for cheap? Any help is appreciated.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
Driving lessons???? J/K Obviously needs a new rotor....and an axle? Do the gears and rebuild the trac lock while in there too

Last edited:

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
First thing, what else is messed up? An impact like that is going to mess up a lot of things. How are all the control arms? Shocks? Driveshaft? Differential? Gears? All of these things need to be taken out and inspected. If the only thing wrong is what you have pictured(I doubt it) then you will need one axle, an axle bearing and seal kit, and a rotor. You should be under a $100 in parts if buy a used axle.
Good luck
Brent

Last edited:

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
bit said:
First thing, what else is messed up? An impact like that is going to mess up a lot of things. How are all the control arms? Shocks? Driveshaft? Differential? Gears? All of these things need to be taken out and inspected. If the only thing wrong is what you have pictures(I doubt it) then you will need one axle, an axle bearing and seal kit, and a rotor. You should be under a $100 in parts if buy a used axle.
Good luck
Brent
Yep axle alignment should be checked out .....check the housing for straightness ect

1.8t

Established Member
All suspension bits are good as is the drive shaft. I have not inspected anything within the rearend yet so that will happen when we get her up in the air.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Seems to me that all you're going to need are some rear rotors (always replace them in pairs), and an axle shaft.

A junk yard should yield the axle shaft for maybe $50 bucks, otherwise you can get a new pair for under $300. Rotors are under $100 for a brand new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread