Need mpg help in the Mach 1

TerminatedGT

Established Member
So I got hurt at work and on LnI so I put my DD up for sale to help pay some bill's.
I am going to be driving my auto Mach 1 when LnI finely says to go back to work. My question is, has any one put 3.08 or 3.27's gears in there Mach or any mods besides a tune that really helped the mileage of a Mach. It's going to suck but I will be driving it 80 to 125 miles a day and need a little better than a 21mpg average shooting for 30 but will settle for 27mpg like my GT got.

I don't mind spending a few hundred on other mods to help out if I can keep the car. No, I wont be working on it till released for work but collecting parts yes. Trying to get a head start on this, if I can't hit the mark I'll be trading it on when back to work.

Last edited:

chronomitch

Established Member
I doubt you'll ever manage 30 mpg, even on the highway with a Mach 1. With 3.73 gears and good traffic conditions, I was able to get around 24 mpg when I traveled from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. You might be able to get more if you use a lower rear gear and perform some weight reduction.

TerminatedGT

Established Member
I doubt you'll ever manage 30 mpg, even on the highway with a Mach 1. With 3.73 gears and good traffic conditions, I was able to get around 24 mpg when I traveled from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. You might be able to get more if you use a lower rear gear and perform some weight reduction.

Ya, I understand 30 is not going to happen but if I got 26-27 like my GT did on a flat out cruse it would be worth it. 24-25 everyday back and forth freeway would be fine to but falling short at 20.8-21.5mpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Changing out your 3.55 is not gonna improve mpg. Best thing you can do is a full tune up. Make sure your tires are all air to 35-38psi and be light on the gas. The mach 1 can get 25mpg easy even with the auto.

4a7191a

Established Member
What's surprising on the standard transmission mach's not sure on the autos. Is that the gearing helps the mpgs. The 430 guys and 410 guys sometimes get better mileage than with stock gears. I've gotten upwards of 22-23 miles a gallon out of mine and it's got 456 gears. Its all in how you drive them, but with an auto your kinda stuck at shift points.

Spending money on aftermarket parts to save mileage is kinda redundant imo. IMO look for a beater Honda or something along the lines of that.

Kcobra99

Established Member
5067b0bebcba67f1363c9439ebb6f43e.jpg

I got 27mpg out of mine once, that was with 4.10 gears while driving through a snowstorm. Anything over 1/4 throttle and the car would have been pointing to either ditch. It's possible, you just have to keep your foot out of it trying to hypermile and that's no fun.

boostownsme

Established Member
Everything you listed won't make enough of an improvement to pay for itself unless you drove it like that for 1-2 years. On a side note, I've bagged 29.5pg twice on 250 miles trips to the coast with my manual 3.55's. Cliff notes, swap in a manual.

TerminatedGT

Established Member
Everything you listed won't make enough of an improvement to pay for itself unless you drove it like that for 1-2 years. On a side note, I've bagged 29.5pg twice on 250 miles trips to the coast with my manual 3.55's. Cliff notes, swap in a manual.
I swapped the car from a manual to auto. I did not want to shift and low 20's in mileage was not a problem except my currant situation is making it one.

4a7191a LOL I am trying to sell the beater Honda and keep my car. At the moment it's sell the Mach 1 or my Honda XR650L, Mitsubishi Mirage and a Honda Hatch with a B-series swap with some mods and Nitrous.

Users who are viewing this thread