Need more HP/Torque!!!!!

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
I own a '96 GT. So far I've added a K&N air filter and 2 chamber flowmasters.

I'm looking for some x-tra hp/torque for under $1K.

Any sugestions?

kwiksnake

Established Member
A new off road x or h pipe (<$200), pulleys(<$200), throttle body(<$200-$250), gears {won't actually increase hp or tq but it sure feels like it}(<$500 installed), nitrous($600 plus installation). Thats pretty much your options for what you want to spend.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Absolutely the most bang-for-the-buck are gears. 4.10 or 4.30 for a DOHC Cobra are recommended (some swear by 4.56s, as well). I'd follow that with exhaust and then suspension upgrades to keep the power to the tarmac...

Just my $.02

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Ooops, sorry about the Cobra info. I'll move your post to the Mustang forum and leave a link here, just in case...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Save the money and put it towards the 99+ head and intake swap. That will get you an awesome HP increase. Due to the flat top pistons in the 96-98s your compression will be slightly more than the 2001 cars, thus generating more HP than the 2001s.
Here is a link to Sean Hylands package combos. CLICK ME!
That's not to say you couldn't find a wrecked 99+ GT and get the heads and intakes cheaper. Then all you'd need would be the install kit ;-)

Kid Cobra 97

Established Member
One of my Buddies did the 99+ head and intake swap on his 97 GT and I could not believe the power increase!! You could feel the power right off the bat!!! I agree with Alex_96Cobra and GR8WHITE!!!!!!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
With that much of a swing in compression (from 9:1 to around 10.5:1) you can't help but make better power and torque through the whole range. I'm looking into the stage 3 package. That should flow just fine with a turbo ;-)

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Thanks for the info fellas... I've decided to 'save my pennies' and put the money down on an '03 Cobra 'vert!

Users who are viewing this thread