Need meth

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Alright guys we all know that e85 is amazing but what about the guys that only have 91? My car is in sig but im looking at getting a mmr short block very soon and pulleying down :rockon:. I have spoke with my tuner and he says these cars dont like meth because the widebands detect a rich spike from the meth and automatically start leaning the car out to compinsate. Is anyone running meth if so pm me im very interested in what ppl are doing to make up for not having enough fuel. My plans are to build motor and run 800 all day dd. Am i sol or is there a way to get the power i need?

nosscort

Established Member
you would need to put a IAt senor after the meth nozzle, The Iat sensor will let the ecu see the cold Iat temp and adjust the fuel curve based off the sensor..
you would or should find a tuner that can and has dealt with tuning meth on these cars

LS1 KILLER

Established Member
I put it on my swap car. Just like was said earlier put the IAT after the meth nozzle. I'm using an IAT out of a 2004 mustang and installed it behind the throttlebody in the intake it picked up 60rwhp setup is in sig.

mhyjek

Established Member
Alright suggestions on a tuner? Or should I look more into a dyno tune?
You need a tuner who has dealt with this. I have it with a relocation of IAT still runs rich not lean! The car pulls fuel as soon as meth hits and catches up but not to the lambda commanded. Without meth my car hits 11.4 AFR with my FI setup and and makes 650 to the wheels never dynoed car with meth but at the track it was an epic fail in mph 127 vs 134 without. I'm getting it dynoed tune for meth now. I know there is place in texas which is closer than NJ where I'm getting mine done that does meth tunes: Triangle speed shop, I would have them do it because it can be done but not like old stangs you need to lock down the computer from adjusting fuel trim during WOT and calculate meth sprayed amount plus % figure out how much fuel it adds and subtract that from what your car does with setup without meth AFR. Than dyno to prove afr calculated is being obtained. Also make sure you have a good fail safe because if not regardless of the bottom end detonation and big HP= boom!!!

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
So is there anything else I could do to keep dd friendly and make around 800rwhp? Race gas is out of the question. And e85 is 120 miles away so actually 240 round trip. Can I make 91 work?

LS1 KILLER

Established Member
I haven't had any issues using the meth on my car my tuner said its very safe. My O2's were correcting for it and having the IAT after the nozzle makes sure the computer knows it's working and in the instance it doesn't spray the computer will react accordingly. I have been using meth injection for years on a couple of high hp cars never once had an issue. To me it's a good alternative to race gas not sure how it exactly compares to e-85 but I'm sure it's close

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Also what would be better to run 11.0:1 or go with a 9.5:1 compression with meth? Would 700 rwhp be easy to do on 91 oct with a lower compression?

Voltwings

Established Member
The only reason a rich spike would be detected is if you're just dumping in more meth than your car is ingesting. There are calculators for given boost / displacement and rpm levels, and will help you determine the most appropriate nozzle for your application. Since these cars do not run very much boost in most cases, I would recommend a MAF based controller for smooth methanol integration. With one of these controllers, basically as the MAF volts rise more and more with be injected, this helps keep your car happy at its target AFR level.

Most cars will also have BAT (we call it boost air temp) flags, that if a certain temperature is exceed (for instance if the meth suddenly fails) the car can pull massive amounts of timing in an effort to save the engine. Methanol can be very safe, and very effective when tuned and set up properly.

Users who are viewing this thread