Need intercooler help

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
My siituation is this. I have a novi 1k that is suppose to be running 8llbs of boost. I am running 9lbs right now and I think the reason is because of the larger sct 90mm maf instead of the 80mm that came with the kit. I am running about 15 degrees hotter than what I am suppose to so my car takes out timing in the summer time when it is hot. I don't want to deal with that. So I was told to go the a/a intercooler route. Now paxton/vortec sells one for about $2k. With the bypass valve and boost pipe they say I have to have it comes to like $2400. I can't seem to get myself to spend that much. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on alternate routes to get this damn setup working right for about $600-$700. I have been looking for used parts in the buy section but no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

slick4_6

Established Member
The Procharger Intercooler might be something you could look into. I think I have read of Vortec users running the Procharger Intercoolers before.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Pretty much any good thick FMIC you can find will work. The cheaper ones on Ebay, surprisingly, work very well. If you get a kit of mandrel-bent pipes and some silicon couples, you could probably piece it together really easily and cheap.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
I don't know about the methanal. I heard they are pretty hard to tune. I just want things to run smoothe and not have any problems.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
johnjib said:
My siituation is this. I have a novi 1k that is suppose to be running 8llbs of boost. I am running 9lbs right now and I think the reason is because of the larger sct 90mm maf instead of the 80mm that came with the kit. I am running about 15 degrees hotter than what I am suppose to so my car takes out timing in the summer time when it is hot. I don't want to deal with that. So I was told to go the a/a intercooler route. Now paxton/vortec sells one for about $2k. With the bypass valve and boost pipe they say I have to have it comes to like $2400. I can't seem to get myself to spend that much. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on alternate routes to get this damn setup working right for about $600-$700. I have been looking for used parts in the buy section but no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Fist off a larger MAF would lower your boost pressure not raise it unless you have the MAF in a draw through setup. In any event you might want to check these out:

http://www.powerbybti.com/products/9904cobra_mach1.htm

They are more expensive but I have heard good things and they are complete kits. Otherwise there is tons of stuff on ebay that is cheap as hell just be careful of what you get and remember you are going to have to piece that kit together yourself.

UCBeau

johnjib said:
I don't know about the methanal. I heard they are pretty hard to tune. I just want things to run smoothe and not have any problems.
who the hell told you that? you just turn it on, and tune it. keep adding timing till you can't add any more. keep an eye on IAT's and you'll be golden.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
dpr told me that. Greg at RET told me that the snow kit was super hard to tune. He said the very best route was an intercooler. But I bought a spearco intercooler that is setup for my paxton. I just have to get a procharger bov and install the mo fo then lastly get another tune and I should be good.

UCBeau

they never once told me the snow kit was hard to tune for, not once. it just takes longer because you have to keep rechecking the data to make sure your temps are safe.

Greg@RET

Established Member
johnjib said:
dpr told me that. Greg at RET told me that the snow kit was super hard to tune. He said the very best route was an intercooler. But I bought a spearco intercooler that is setup for my paxton. I just have to get a procharger bov and install the mo fo then lastly get another tune and I should be good.

Never said it was hard to tune. Just dont trust it 100% ;-) The best thing to do is a intercooler.

UCBeau

G03stang said:
Never said it was hard to tune. Just dont trust it 100% ;-) The best thing to do is a intercooler.
agreed on the i/c..and if you get the snow kit, make sure you get the low fluid level LED setup too.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
Word. Regardless I just bought an a/a intercooler for my setup. Now I just have to get a bov and get it installed. I am probably going to have to get it retuned now. I hate wasting money. Damn car. This should solve my problems. How is it w/the socal guys? Keeping it real?

UCBeau

i havent hung with them in a while but i think theres some meets coming up. i'm still focusing on getting my shit running right too. may have to make a trip up to RET when Bob goes to get his shit done.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
the guys were pretty cool. I heard Greg is the best. He helped me with things that a lot of other shops did not even bring up. I did have some beef with some money issues but not really a big deal. My boy Junior had nothing but good things to say when he was getting his Lightning hooked up.

UCBeau

yea i am having some issues with bpv location, belt slip, etc. i really need to just sack up and do an 8 rib but i need some info first. i suspect doing that and relocating the bpv will fix my shit. my low speed driveability blows and my a/f is all over the place at WOT. how's your car do at low speeds?

Greg@RET

Established Member
Both of you are on the same ship??
Is so tell him I said whats up.... and I will have a Michelob ultra ready for him :-D

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
Yes we are. We were roomates as well. I helped him get his L and gave him some ideas. Then he caught the bug and went crazy. He is pretty salty with his truck now. He told me how you guys use to work on his car hitting back some brews. I will tell him whats up. So after I get everything going you still going to hook up my tune or what? I just want to get this damn car running right. I am also having problems with my a/f guage. it fluctuates pretty crazy. I don't know what is up with that.

Users who are viewing this thread