Need install help

NWUCIT

Established Member
I have decided to spruce up the interior of the Cobra a bit and one of the items is the UPR Stainless Steel A/C panel insert. It's installation will require that the plastic trim that surrounds the vents, radio, a/c controls be removed....not sure how to do this. Has anyone pulled this trim out? If so, please clue me in...don't want to break anything. Thanks for any help.

SVT 03 Cobra

start at the lower left with a flat blade screwdriver... wrap the tip in a soft cloth so you dont scratch anything.... pry ot slowly, working your way around.... it is only 4 clips holding it in... hope this helped..
Jayson

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
If you are talking about actually removing the trim piece that surrounds the radio/AC-heater controls DO NOT PRY WITH A SCREWDRIVER!

You need to pop out the plastic trim piece that has the shifter boot, first. Remove the shift knob and then just lift the shifter surround straight up. Its a little bit of a pain the first time (and sounds awful and seems like you need too much force - but it does pop out).
Disconnect the aux power connector on the back and set aside. Then you need to remove the radio. This is a bit complicated to describe, but is not difficult in practice. There are two sets of holes on the side of the radio faceplate. You need to insert a u-shaped tool into these holes (1 on each side) to push back some spring clips. The radio should slide right out toward you then. Alternatively, you can insert short pieces of coat hanger into the radio faceplate holes to hold the spring clips.
Disconnect the cables behind radio and set aside. You'll find various screws holding the trim piece in place now. Remove these (there is one waaaaaaay in the back that you need to be aware of) and the trim piece pops off. Then you can replace the AC-heater faceplate.

NWUCIT

Established Member
Jayson,
Thanks for the info!...worked fine...actually didn't have to completely remove the piece..just pulled trim out enough per your instructions to install the SS overlay and snap right back in.

Steve,
I think I may not have explained my problem too well...the piece I was installing is just a thin overlay that sticks on over the face of the existing a/c control panel. You're help is also appreciated.

This board is a wealth of info....if in doubt, just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread