Need insight on clutch fork rattle after TOB install

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Ive looked and searched and I can't find a thread where someone has had this problem, which is odd. But anyways, I recently changed my stock TOB out for the FRPP piece and the sleeve with a lethal piece as the stock one was broken. After the install it made a similar sound as the broken stock one did minus the chirp. I can hear the clutch fork banging around, any pressure down on the pedal the sound stops completely. Sometimes if I lift up on the pedal it will go away or at least get quieter.

I have the stock clutch, cable, fire wall adjuster and quadrant. I'd like to retain the stock cable at least.

What would make this happen? Pressure down tells me I need a fire wall adjuster and pressure up tells me I may need something like the LDC free play mod? I read to NOT use the free play mod with the stock stuff, is this true or does it matter? I'm open to suggestions, this is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Forgot to mention I've tried adjusting the stock quadrant and I can't get a click out of it. Any one else had this problem or know how to fix it?

Bigggy

Established Member
i'm not sure I've made a thread about that but had a similar problem in the past. Right after the break-in of my new clutch/FW assembly (only parts that was not replace was the fork and the pivot ball), the car started to have a bad vibration when driving at a certain speed. It was very difficult to pin-point the problem until I lay down under the car and took a look at the fork play, see video below.

It ended up pulling the trans a second time just to change the fork and pivot-ball.
In the video you will also see an aftermarket cable which was remove and the OEM was put back. The aftermarket was not working properly at high rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvBC9-0JqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk8dSdvYFj4

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Mine is fairly tight compared to your video, I found out its smacking against the cover and that's what's making the sound, as it doesn't make a sound with the cover off. I'm just wondering what's the best way to fix this?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sure tob was seated after install..uneven?

Was fork seated on pivot after trans was bolted.

A bent/damaged finger on pp from old tob or from bumping fingers while installing trans

I just re did mine with single hook quadrant and heavy duty adjustable cable..

clutch is easy to push now vs stock

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Something is wrong with the fork or TOB. Your going to have to pull the trans back out to fix it. Better do it sooner than later before you damage something

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Everything was seated when I had it apart. The pivot ball did have a little wear on it, is this acceptable? Last night I put a fire wall adjuster, quadrant and a free play mod on. With the fire wall adjuster all the way in I'm not getting any slapping sounds. The TOB is now just barely riding on the pressure plate. I was hoping I could have it just off it with the free play mod but this seems to be the most in I could go. Any one have any ideas as to how I can adjust it just off the TOB? The pedal doesn't shake around anymore either. It grabs a little higher than it did also, which I'm not a huge fan of either. The pedal firmness didn't go up much with the free play mod. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread