Need info on steel welding job, unionized etc....

Kenny H

Established Member
My fiancee's uncle has told me about a job involving some sort of steel welding. It is a unionized position. From what he knows of the job, it involves welding steel together, making heat ducts for buildings/houses. Does anyone have any idea or information on a job like this? Ultimately if I decide to go for this and make it, the pay is substantially more then what I make now. Does anyone do any sort of welding or work with steel and what can you tell me about it?

Thanks!!!!

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Granted i just learned to weld, and i only do it occasionally for projects, i can say this. In our area, you wont get a welding job unless your trained and can pass tests. Im not saying your not, but from your thread, it sounds like ya dont know much about welding.

Of course, welding is fun! It never hurts to check into it. More Money is always a good thing!

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
The jobs I've done they made me taking a welding test. Arc and Mig, flat and uphill/downhill type beads. I went to school and did it for a year so it's no big deal but for someone who has never done it be prepared for their decision.

If it's something you want to do you may also look at pipe welding. I know a guy in Michigan that makes some good money doing that. Fitting pipe takes some more practice but you'd get the hang of it. You can also check out a local Tech college for welding courses and you'll learn all you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread