Need info on a SHO for a local track...

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
Ok, here is the scenerio, we got a concrete oval in my home town that runs a class called compact division.. The cars must be front wheel drive, Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler.. automatics and no poweradders and a 3.0 or under V6 or 4 banger.. I was watching this and first thing I thought was a SHO would lap these cats.. and I found 1 that had a bad body and int. but good motor for cheap..

My question... I heard somewhere that the automatic sho's where 3.2's and the 5-speeds where 3.0's... is this true?? If it is, can an auto be bolted on to a 3.0 SHO motor?? It aint gotta be pretty either...

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Yes, 3.0 is 5 speed and 3.2 is auto. You can bolt an ATX to a 3.2, but expect a small loss in power.

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
Yes, 3.0 is 5 speed and 3.2 is auto. You can bolt an ATX to a 3.2, but expect a small loss in power.
I'm confused? I'm not sure what ATX means... plus I would have to use the 3.0.. 3.2 is too big for the class, btw, thanks guys for the replies

nik96

Established Member
ATX(auto) and MTX(manual) are just designations for the transmissions in SHOs. A 3.0 can be swapped into an ATX car with minor modification. The 3.0 in MTX cars uses a dual accessory belt drive with specific brackets, accessories, motor mounts and subframe. The 3.2 in ATX cars uses a single serpentine belt drive and all of the accessories, mounts and brackets are specific to the subframe in an ATX car.

To swap in a 3.0, you would basically just swap out the short block. You can swap the heads too. The only difference in the heads is the intake cam(less lift -tailored to the automatic trans). Whichever heads you use, you must use the exhaust manifolds for the ATX car. You must also use all of the ATX accessory drive components, timing belt tensioner, oil pump, water pump, brackets etc. There is one stud for the 3.0 timing belt tensioner that needs to be removed and installed in an adjacent hole(if you do the swap you'll see). Other than that and a few obvious changes along the way, it's basically a short/long block swap.

Don't bother trying to swap an automatic transmission into a 5 speed car.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Visually, unless you REALLY know what you are looking for the 3.0/3.2 look the same.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Visually, unless you REALLY know what you are looking for the 3.0/3.2 look the same.

Besides the belt drive, only 3.2's and California 3.0's have EGR valves. If you look on the back of the intake manifold, 89-92 3.0's have NO EGR boss on the back, 93-95 3.0's have undrilled EGR bosses, and 93-95 3.2's have EGRs.

Users who are viewing this thread