need ideas for a philosophy paper

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
whats up everyone? i have to write a short paper (3 or 4 pages) on philosophy and haven't been able to come up with very many good ideas.

about the best i have so far is the best type of government relative to its society. anyone got any ideas or interesting topics in the subject.

all comments and ideas are appreciated.

99caddysts

Established Member
Choose a virtue and explain it and come up with a definition.

For example: Humor. What is humor? Analyze different situations involving humor to come up with a definition and then think of different styles and types of humor. You should be constantly changing/fixing/refining your definition as you think about different situations.
You could do something like dead baby jokes and why we laugh at them when obviously, a dead baby is in no way funny.

I know its a pretty basic idea, but I'm not sure what "level" you are at.

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
Choose a virtue and explain it and come up with a definition.

For example: Humor. What is humor? Analyze different situations involving humor to come up with a definition and then think of different styles and types of humor. You should be constantly changing/fixing/refining your definition as you think about different situations.
You could do something like dead baby jokes and why we laugh at them when obviously, a dead baby is in no way funny.

I know its a pretty basic idea, but I'm not sure what "level" you are at.

its an intro class im taking as an elective. thanks for the idea. any others?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I had intro. Phil. back in the fall of '03. We didn't have a single test and did group projects mostly. My professors name was Aristotle Santas...sorta intimidating going into the class. We had a Chappelle's show-like final presentation where we invited friends in family in an auditorium. It was awesome...with that said, I can't remember a damn thing we did haha.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Pick a random news story and describe how it relates to society in general. Is it a good representative? Does it include or perpetuate stereotypes? Include a personal anecdote that relates to or negates the news story, and close with a Japanese proverb. That always worked with my English teacher!

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
you could write a paper comparing and contrasting free will and determinism. Basically do people truly have their own free will or do we have a predetermined fate. I had to write a paper on that last semester.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
do something on moral relativism.
is being "moral" subjective or universal? you could write for years on morals, and how diverse the human race is.

i guess its more of an ethical standpoint, but its one of the main philosophical debates.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Talk about how the world would be better off without the mentioning of that ****** God dude.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Talk about how the world would be better off without that ****** jsd512 dude.

Fixed and QFT.

To the OP. You can do a paper on basic philosophies that help determine our actions as humans. As someone mentioned earlier, morals and such.

Users who are viewing this thread