Need how to on HR springs in 03 cobra

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
I looked around the site and can't find a how to on spring instalation for 03 cobra and H&R race springs. it's taking me too damn long and someone has to have a better way than what I'm doing. Does any one have one or know where the thread is?

MJR_TRBL

Established Member
It takes a long time! I installed them on mine using a spring compressor. I would suggest that you un-bolt the irs subframe at the front to make it a whole lot faster and easier. It took me all together 3 hours and several friends with prybars.
make sure when you take out those irs bolts check to make sure they are 14mm in diameter(Ford incorrectly installed 12mm bolts in several cars).

Sorry your right it has to be swung forward.

Last edited:

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
Thanks but I was stuck on the front I'm putting in c/c plate and springs at the same time. It took me about 3 hours to do one side. Once I figured out how to do it about 45 minutes on the otherside.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
MJR_TRBL said:
It takes a long time! I installed them on mine using a spring compressor. I would suggest that you un-bolt the irs subframe at the front to make it a whole lot faster and easier. It took me all together 3 hours and several friends with prybars.
make sure when you take out those irs bolts check to make sure they are 14mm in diameter(Ford incorrectly installed 12mm bolts in several cars).

If you unbolt it at the front, you are going to swing into the gas tank. You have to unbolt it at the rear and let it swing forward.

sndmn_2000

Next is a Vette
Established Member
BreBar21 said:
If you unbolt it at the front, you are going to swing into the gas tank. You have to unbolt it at the rear and let it swing forward.

Yup, it needs to go foreward, but with a spring commpressor, its a litl bit easier.

fordgasm88

Established Member
I'm also putting the H&R's on,
Whats this about loosening the front control arms and retightening them at ride height? Also are you using Isolators and on the rear can I get away with just using a spring compressor or do I also have to remove the rear IRS subframe bolts and let it swing forward? Hoping to finish up in the AM.
:beer:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
You don't need no stinkin spring compressor. Two rear IRS bolts out, drop down about 6" and the springs drop out. In the front, just put your foot on the LCA and push down. Spring comes out. Reverse to install new springs.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
getting ready to do mine soon too....found this thread and thought it might help us all out.

as far as the rear install goes, it took two of us 45mins to complete the rear install. here is how we did it....VERY EASY!!!
jack car up with 2 floor jacks...one on each rear subframe in front of the tires and then put jack stands in the same area. be sure to put the jack as far forward on the subframe, but not too far that you hit the floor pan. remove the catback. move the floor jacks to the rear of the car. use the floor jacks to take the wait off the A-Arm under the shock. remove the bottom shock bolts. lower the arm...it only moves about 1 inch. move the jacks to the center of the rear of the vehicle and jack them to where they are just touching the rear a-arm bolts where they bolt to the IRS cradle. remove the 1 bolt on either side of the car which is the rear IRS cradle bolts. these are the black bolts that can bee seen when you remove the wheel. these should come out pretty easily. then slowly lower each jack in unison and the springs will fall right out...just dont park your friends cobra near that area as they will roll and hit it...! sorry halo!
put the isos on the new springs. make sure the narrow coils are to the top (H&R only). i suggest putting the bottom in first then have someone hold them in place while you jack both the jacks back up...having the spotter tell you when the holes line up on the rear IRS cradle bolts (ones visible when you remove the wheels). torque these down to spec. lower the jacks and put them back under the a-arm/shock. reinstall the shock bolts...put the wheels on and then the catback and you are done..i have the SLP so we could just take the sections off that were attached to the IRS cradle (back two brackets).... halo was worried from reading all the horror stories on here and really wanted to use the spring compressor! no thanks...i guess these guys that had trouble were doing something wrong as the rear was much easier than the front and the front is very easy. maybe the guys having the issues were trying to drop the front and rear a-arm bolts? now that would be a PITA!

Users who are viewing this thread