Need help with tune questions.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
I got a new tune. I like it for the most part. When I first got the tune the check engine popped on right away. I would also feel my car run funny at idle. The shop thought they had bad 02 sensors. They replaced them and put my car back on the dyno and said the tune was running good and said they did not turn my smart logic on my computer or something like that. They turned it back on. They said they set the computer to read more fuel and air going to the engine. Oh yeah my original check engine code was too rich in two banks. So they did not give me a new tune. My car is better but it will still idle funny. I had to get smogged last week and my car ran 2000 something on emissions and I can only be at 200 max. So I failed. Does my tune sound jacked up? If anyone knows what I am talking about and has any suggestions on how to pass smog I would appreciate it. I also have mag high flow cats. Thanks.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Your car should not be that rich at idle, but rather, at WOT. Sounds like some improper adjustments have been made to idle A/F. Not experienced enough to know how the tuner would make (or would want to) adjustments to your idle A/F. Usually, better to have stock (like 15 / 1) A/F at idle / partial throttle, as to promote better emissions and also better gas mileage, i.e., don't want to be running 11.5 / 1 A/F jogging down the road at 2,000 rpms.

As far as the O2 sensors, why not have the tuner simply turn off the rear sensors (along with the sensor heaters), which would result in no more check engine light. However, I would go back to the tune first, make sure things are running as planned, before turning off sensors. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread