need help with tach adapter.

errray's 03 svt

Established Member
Can someone please tell me where to hook up the red and green wire to. i have the autometer tach adapter.

J15BIG

Established Member
on the tach adaptor i have sitting here in front of me(not an autometer), the blue wire goes to the crank sensor, the red goes to a switched +, black is ground, and teh green one goes to the tach.

Silver 03 Cobra

I'm assuming you are looking for a location to splice the adapter. I don't have my instructions since I'm at work. You have to splice the adpater on the hot wire for the coil packs. On the passenger side in the corner of the firewall and the fender, there is a terminal block. That wire is in this block. You can take a meter and probe for it. If I were at home I could tell you exactly where it's at. The adapter has to be spliced before the coil packs and not in between. I think it was in one of the corners. I have a multi-meter. You can pick one up just about anywhere. They range from $15-20 up to hundreds. A cheap one will do about anything you need. You can probe for wires to check continuity or for hot wires. What I did was pull the driver's side coil pack cover. You will see the coil hot wire wire that is red. I stuck a small pin in the wire. Then I pulled the terminal block cover. Set your meter to continuity and touch one lead to one of the pins on the block and then the other to the pin in the wire. Eventually you'll get continuity showing which postition the coil wire is on the terminal block. Cut that wire and splice in the adapter. I have a pick of this block and connection on this site but the search function is down.

You'll have to figure out a key-on hot source. It's been so long I've forgotten where I hooked mine up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If we could post pics, I could show you but..
In the connector referred to above, pin 9 will supply the switched 12 volts and pin 34 is the coil lead you are looking for.
Pin 9 is at the front of the connector closest to the fender.
Pin 34 is at the rear of the connector closest to the engine, diagonally opposite Pin 9.
Pin 9 is solid red wire
Pin 34 is also a red wire

As for the particular wires of the adapter go here:
http://hp.autometer.com/instructions/009117_instruction.pdf

About half way down the page it shows "Coil per cylinder" schematic. Use that.

Dana

errray's 03 svt

Established Member
hey Dana thanks alot. i'm goona try it. i had pin 9 tapped as my 12volt power already. i believe i was looking for pin 34. i was tapping into coil 1 from the beginning which was totally wrong. i'm going to try it right now.

maoun

Established Member
return it and buy a ford motorsport tach adapter.

(i hate the autometer one)

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
OK, if you have the autometer adapter, the switched 12 volt source isn't needed. You only work with the wire on pin 34. Forget pin 9. That is for a 12 volt source from the battery and has nothing to do with the ignition coils.

You splice the red and the reg/green into the wire on pin 34. You have to cut the wire on pin 34 and connect the red wire from the adapter to the red wire coming from the connector on the firewall. The red/green from the adapter is connected to the remaining end of the red wire you just cut. That comes from the coils.

Look at the diagram I pointed to above. This may make the diagram a little clearer now. Coil per cylinder diagram:

http://hp.autometer.com/instructions/009117_instruction.pdf

And yes the sift light still needs a power supply. +12 v & a ground.

Dana

errray's 03 svt

Established Member
this is frustrating. it still doesn't work. wtf. need more help. hey silver03snake can you email the picture to me.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

You'll have to send me an email. There's no way to attach an image through the email link on this board.

Send it to [email protected] and I'll email it to you.

I'm at work today, Saturday. I'll look at mine tonight and see how and where I connected it.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by errray's 03 svt
this is frustrating. it still doesn't work. wtf. need more help. hey silver03snake can you email the picture to me.

Tell me what you have connected so far and where the connections have been made. We should be able to walk through this.

Or e-mail me and I can send the diagrams.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread