Need help with steering and suspension issues. Wheels are pitching inward

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
I have bad steering issues and bumpsteer problems. Im not sure how to approach this whether it be with a bumpsteer kit or CC plates. After searching all over the forums it seems like most people with stock ride height average around 27 3/4 inches from the ground to fender and 28 1/4 inches from the ground to quarter panel. My car is 26 1/4 in the front and 26 3/4 in the rear which would be roughly a 1.5 inch drop. As far as I can tell it looks like I have the stock springs and they dont look like they were cut but i havent taken them off so i cant be sure. The only modifications to any suspension components is the Steeda X2 balljoints on the front from when the stock ones went bad. I was told the steeda joints would help a little. Everywhere i look it shows that the tire rod should be parrallel with the control arms but mine dont seem to be that way. The front of the car looks like this when I have it jacked up a bit to make the control arms leveled.
pnsq6Ia.jpg

3KsWFyf.jpg

Dropped down to the ground it looks like this
cIePOmJ.jpg

9ayQx6p.jpg

You can see in both pictures that the tires look like theyre pitching inwards instead of being flat. Is this normal or is this a result of the car being lower? I still have wheel gap so its not as low as some other people are. Any help on what to do or how to go about fixing this to make the car handle and steer better would be very appreciated. I already bought a front bumpsteer kit but havent done it yet because im not 100% sure if i need that or CC plates or maybe both. The rear doesnt look as bad and i didnt take the most ideal picture of how it looks but this was the rear when it was jacked up

D34BFrt.jpg

If anyone has any suggestion on what to do please reply.

10sec89

Established Member
Steering rack tie rods need to be parallel with the control arms, which yours are. As for as the wheels pitching in I would put a set of caster camber plates on it so you can adjust some of the camber out.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Steering rack tie rods need to be parallel with the control arms, which yours are. As for as the wheels pitching in I would put a set of caster camber plates on it so you can adjust some of the camber out.
thanks for the tip ill prob order CC plates one of these days. so as long as everything is parallel its ok? i was under the impression that the control arms had to be parallel to the ground if not than thats an even easier fix. thanks

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Take your car in for a professional 4-wheel alignment. If it is only dropped 1.5 inches I doubt you need CC plates or bumpsteer kit, a good tech will know after it is on his rack.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Take your car in for a professional 4-wheel alignment. If it is only dropped 1.5 inches I doubt you need CC plates or bumpsteer kit, a good tech will know after it is on his rack.

just took it to a shop today thats very reputable in my area the guy suggested that CC plates arent a must but would definately make the car feel alot better. Only thing I didnt like was that he suggested i put the spacers that came with the X2 ball joint kit in the springs to raise the front up higher and not use the bumpsteer kit

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
If possible id really like to keep my current ride height but not at the expense of handling or performance. Just seems weird considering my car isnt nearly as slammed down as some other people who seem to be issue free

KLLR SNK

Established Member
If you are going to race the car and want a more aggressive alignment and handling then yeah the CC plates will give you more positive caster than the stock plates. There is no caster adjustment in the stock plates but they should be good enough to get your alignment into Ford specifications. Did he give you a printout of your current alignment? If not, go back and get it. I can't believe if you are 1.5 inch drop from stock height you require CC plates or bumpsteer. Car been wrecked?

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
If you are going to race the car and want a more aggressive alignment and handling then yeah the CC plates will give you more positive caster than the stock plates. There is no caster adjustment in the stock plates but they should be good enough to get your alignment into Ford specifications. Did he give you a printout of your current alignment? If not, go back and get it. I can't believe if you are 1.5 inch drop from stock height you require CC plates or bumpsteer. Car been wrecked?

no never been hit hard besides a drunk driver ripping my front bumper off while it was parked two labor days ago. Even than there was no damage to any suspension components. The car really feels crappy in the front while driving and the steering sucks. Ive gotten a few alignments in the past (not from this place) but a few different ones and while they were able to fix the alignment at that time it would usually feel off again within 3 to 4 weeks later and no one has ever figured out why. some suggested the inner tie rods may be damaged and are allowing play in steering but i have no clue :shrug:

WHITELINE

Established Member
I would suggest you find another alignment shop with positive Suspension Geometry reputation. There are many alignment shops that do not practice true suspension diagnosis, they do the bare bones basics to get a car into alignment specs. They tend to adjust the same points regardless if its the root problem or not.

Your geometry definitely looks out of wack from being lowered. Getting a bump steer or roll center kit won't correct your issue unless it was designed for lowered vehicles. When you lower the Mustang the bumpsteer is greatly pronounced hence the requirement for a kit to minimize bumpsteer. I can't tell but your kit should indicate if its for lowered vehicles. We design our kits to get most ride heights within ball park. If you look at the bottom of this bulletin you'll see how we've designed the tie rods and ball joints to accommodate varying ride heights. Hope you get your problem figured out...

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/Update BL-431.pdf
BL-431.jpg

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Crazywhiteboy90,
Your springs must be cut to get that low and, as you know, the steeda X2's will lower the car another 1/4-1/2" without the spring spacers installed and depending on the spring isos you have. If everything seems tight while you have it jacked, I'd get the CC plates.

Check the stiffness in your a-arm bushings as well while replacing the CC plates.

And level your sway-bar with shorter endlinks.

How does the steering shaft rag-joint feel?
And look at the rack bushings.

The car is x years old now; so it could be a cumulative problem of all the old pieces parts.

I'd also dump the cut springs for H&R race if you can afford it right now..

Bumpsteer is the last thing to worry about on a DD.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Crazywhiteboy90,
Your springs must be cut to get that low and, as you know, the steeda X2's will lower the car another 1/4-1/2" without the spring spacers installed and depending on the spring isos you have. If everything seems tight while you have it jacked, I'd get the CC plates.

Check the stiffness in your a-arm bushings as well while replacing the CC plates.

And level your sway-bar with shorter endlinks.

How does the steering shaft rag-joint feel?
And look at the rack bushings.

The car is x years old now; so it could be a cumulative problem of all the old pieces parts.

I'd also dump the cut springs for H&R race if you can afford it right now..

Bumpsteer is the last thing to worry about on a DD.

Yea I got the CC plates and am going to put then on soon the springs weren't cut it turns out there H&R so those should be fine but I was advices to stick the spacers in that came with the stress X2s so I still have to do that I also got the adjustable end links ready to go hopefully these things will be enough

Users who are viewing this thread