need help with starter.

sparky701

Established Member
The problem I'm having is when I start my 93 lx 5.0 the starter stays engaged for a few seconds after the initial start up. I already installed a new starter, ignition switch, solenoid. Should I try shiming the starter? That noise is driving me crazy. Thanks for any info.

sparky701

Established Member
Anyone? The car at one time was a 5sp and then was put back to an auto, could there be something the previous owner forgot to put back?

slowsonicblue

Established Member
i had the same problem on my 88 lx. i switched the starter, relay, turns out it was my battery cables. they just got so messed up from old age they wouldn't stay on the battery or the solenoid correctly. i've heard of a couple guy that have long tubes cooking starters and doing the same thing. personally haven't had any issues with mine.
hope that helps a little
Justin

slowsonicblue

Established Member
sparky701 said:
The problem I'm having is when I start my 93 lx 5.0 the starter stays engaged for a few seconds after the initial start up. I already installed a new starter, ignition switch, solenoid. Should I try shiming the starter? That noise is driving me crazy. Thanks for any info.

as far as shimming the starter i don't know if the starter doesn't engage all the way it will tear up your flywheel and that's way more of a pain in the @$$ than a starter.

Users who are viewing this thread