Need help with rear shock eye bushings

MrSwa

Established Member
I took my car to get aligned today since I installed coil-overs about a month ago (haven't driven it a ton since I've been on vacation). They called me to come back and look at the rear suspension. I will try and describe what I saw (gonna try and get a picture later on today).

The bushings that go in the shock eye are swelling up and pushing their way out off the bolt that goes into the LCA. The passenger side one is the worst, with one of the bushings already gone. This is allowing the shock to press against the tie rod. Obviously this is not a safe situation. I will only be driving the car to my parent's house so I can fix it.

I have already ordered delrin bushings to replace the current ones. I could have sworn that the bolt had a large washer type head on it when I put it in. Can someone supply a picture of a stock, or at least working setup? I think washers might be the easiest option, but ideally I would like to have a bolt that had a large head. Anyone know of any options?

Update (Pictures):
Passenger Side
photo.jpg

Driver Side
photo-4.jpg

Last edited:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
the factory shock bolt does have a flange on it. I would just grab a washer to throw between the head of the bolt and the bushing. Fifty cent fix...

MrSwa

Established Member
the factory shock bolt does have a flange on it. I would just grab a washer to throw between the head of the bolt and the bushing. Fifty cent fix...

I figured the correct bolts had a large head on them. I really thought this is what I put back in, but I guess it's possible I'm imagining things.

Which coilovers are they?

I bought a set of used MM coil-overs off another member on this site.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Here is a link to the instructions for your coilover kit:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/rear_susp/MMCO-4r7.pdf

Page 6 and 7 have a description and photos of the lower eyelet mounting for your coilover kit. It is clear from the photos that you posted above, that there are several pieces missing from the installation. There should be at least two washers on that bolt plus a crush sleeve. If the kit is installed with the correct parts, the polyurethane bushings will stay in place as designed. I strongly suggest that you read through all of the instructions to make sure that all of the components are installed as they should be.

You absolutely should but use Delrin bushings in this location. Delrin is essentially incompressible. When the suspension moves up and down, the Delrin will barely flex and put a large bending load on the shock shaft. This will eventually damage the shock. The upper shock mount is not directly above the lower mount. Since it isn't, the angle between the shock and the LCA, when viewed from the side, changes as the suspension moves. For this to happen, the bushing must be able to deform.

Last edited:

MrSwa

Established Member
Here is a link to the instructions for your coilover kit:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/rear_susp/MMCO-4r7.pdf

Page 6 and 7 have a description and photos of the lower eyelet mounting for your coilover kit. It is clear from the photos that you posted above, that there are several pieces missing from the installation. There should be at least two washers on that bolt plus a crush sleeve. If the kit is installed with the correct parts, the polyurethane bushings will stay in place as designed. I strongly suggest that you read through all of the instructions to make sure that all of the components are installed as they should be.

You absolutely should but use Delrin bushings in this location. Delrin is essentially incompressible. When the suspension moves up and down, the Delrin will barely flex and put a large bending load on the shock shaft. This will eventually damage the shock. The upper shock mount is not directly above the lower mount. Since it isn't, the angle between the shock and the LCA, when viewed from the side, changes as the suspension moves. For this to happen, the bushing must be able to deform.

I can't look-up what the part number I ordered, I could be mistaken on the material. I can only say that the name is "Shock Eye Replacement Bushings, IRS only." I hope this is the right part. I will admit I should have seen that the bushings would not be held in the shock eye. I will go to a hardware store and just pick up some various washers. Thanks for your input. It's always nice to hear from someone who works at the company.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Nick,

If you go to the hardware store, it is very likely that they will not have the correct washers for this application. The last page of the instructions I linked above has a parts list on the last page.

I really urge you to take both coilover lower mounting bolts off of the car and inspect all of the parts to see what is there and what is not. Follow the instructions on pages 6 and 7. From those, you will be able to tell whether you have a wide or narrow eyelet Bilstein shock and therefore exactly which washers you need and where to place them.

If you do not use the correct washers, in the correct locations, it is possible to damage the control arm and/or break the mounting bolt, which will result in lots of other damage to the car.

If you need to order the parts from us, the numbers are:

33861 1/2" ID washer (4 total needed)
33820 3/4" ID washer (2 total needed)
SM-105-B Polyurethane bushing (4 total needed)

If you ordered the Polyurethane bushings from us, then they will be the correct part. Your description of the part is correct.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Nick,

I checked on your bushing order. Yes, you ordered the correct ones.

We threw in all six washers with the 2nd order you placed, so you won't have to hunt for them at the hardware store.

MrSwa

Established Member
Nick,

I checked on your bushing order. Yes, you ordered the correct ones.

We threw in all six washers with the 2nd order you placed, so you won't have to hunt for them at the hardware store.

That's awesome. :thumbsup: It's good to know that Maximum Motorsports is such a stand up company as give advise on a forum, check on orders, and throw in a few free things to a guy that didn't even buy directlly from them. :rockon:

Thanks so much. I have my fingers crossed that the expected delivery date is wrong for the second package. Sunday is the only day I have to work on it, otherwise it's another week of driving my parent's expedition. :whine:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread