Need HELP With New 200amp Alternator 4 Gauge Wire

robb15033

Established Member
Just purchased a 200amp alternator and 4 gauge wire.
I am in dire need of assistance with wiring the 4 gauge wire from alternator to battery. Also have an inline fuse block.
**Do I leave the factory wire on the post connection with the new 4 gauge wire?
**And does the new wire just go from the alt. post connection to battery?
Thanks alot!

laddanator

Established Member
Just purchased a 200amp alternator and 4 gauge wire.
I am in dire need of assistance with wiring the 4 gauge wire from alternator to battery. Also have an inline fuse block.
**Do I leave the factory wire on the post connection with the new 4 gauge wire?
**And does the new wire just go from the alt. post connection to battery?
Thanks alot!

Yes, leave your stock wire. I installed the 4 gauge wire on top of my stock wire and then you run the 4 gauge over to the fuse box. I ran my wire down the driver side to the firewall and then over to the fuse box. Makes a much neater run since the wire is so long. Remove the black pull off cover to expose the stud and nut. Remove the nut and put your wire on the threaded stud, replace nut and cover and you're good. See pic below. The part circled in red is the main terminal cover that slide up and off.

Took pics of mine for you

Last edited:

robb15033

Established Member
Still got big issues-
I re-routed the wire to fuse block teminal.
-Now, the car starts, hits idle RPM's normally, then dies immediately. Re-start the car and it does same thing. Give it gas and it dies right away.
I checked the battery, exposed all the vacuum lines, no breaks. So I am lost. I have never before not been able to figure it out. This one got me.
Any help appreciated.

laddanator

Established Member
Still got big issues-
I re-routed the wire to fuse block teminal.
-Now, the car starts, hits idle RPM's normally, then dies immediately. Re-start the car and it does same thing. Give it gas and it dies right away.
I checked the battery, exposed all the vacuum lines, no breaks. So I am lost. I have never before not been able to figure it out. This one got me.
Any help appreciated.

Changing the alternator shouldn't do this nor should running the wire to fuse box. . Did you check your IAC?

robb15033

Established Member
I went back out & changed spark plugs on passenger side to see condition. Plugs looked fine, new ones are in. Put everything back together. Tries to start, then stalls.

laddanator

Established Member
:cuss:RESOLVED!
Too embarrassed to admit it ran out of gas. Dont tell anyone.

Damn! lol Glad it was that and nothing else. The reason I said check the IAC is becasue i'm installing the crossover tube delete and I have the hose going from the IAC to the air intake undone and if I crank the car, it will idle for a second and then cut off. What voltage are you showing with the new alternator?

robb15033

Established Member
Damn! lol Glad it was that and nothing else. The reason I said check the IAC is becasue i'm installing the crossover tube delete and I have the hose going from the IAC to the air intake undone and if I crank the car, it will idle for a second and then cut off. What voltage are you showing with the new alternator?
14.5 volts, I haven't amped it yet. I think the alternator I removed had noisy, worn bearings too.

Users who are viewing this thread