Need Help With My Idle!!!!, 98 Gt Auto, Please!!

OBXWHTGT

Established Member
Hey yall, I have a 1998 Mustang GT automatic. Recently, once the engine has warmed up, when I come to a stop at say a red light, the idle will sometimes drop very low like 300 rpms and make the car shake a little. Its sounds like it really wants to cut off bad when it does this, but never actually has. I have a 2500rpm stall converter in it, could that be causing this, but its been in about 2 years and never had a problem. I had the check engine light come on, but it was for the same thing it always is, pressure inside the gas tank, I just havent gotten around to getting a new cap. Please let me know what you guys think, and if you have any possible ideas of what may be wrong. Thank You.

caseypayne69

Banned
Is it getting harder to crank from a cold start? Could be your Idle air control unit getting clogged up, or going bad. My was doing this and I just cleaned it with engine choke spray. and rubbed some gunk out. But my car would stay running if I keep my foot on the gas, but die if I let off.

OBXWHTGT

Established Member
Thanks man, where is that control valve, ill give it a try, it still starts fine and idles fine, but once it gets hot its idles funny and wants to cut off. Let me know which part that is, because i dont really know where it its.

Users who are viewing this thread