Need help with mixing Cobra and u/d pullies on an LX

Constable

Established Member
Ok, I bought my notch with a set of unknown underdrives on it. It doesn't cool for sh!t and the charging sucks too. I located a NOS 93 Cobra water pump pulley for sale locally for pocket change. I snatched it up in hopes that this will overdrive my water pump a bit and maybe alleviate some of the cooling issue. Ideas?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
That may help your cooling issue, but it won't help your charging issue. My suggestion: Get a set of stock pullies on it, or find a 93 Cobra Crank pulley to run with the 93 cobra wp pulley....

Does it overheat in traffic only, or at all times?

Constable

Established Member
It overheats whenever it wants to... there's no pattern. I know all about the fox cooling issues and am upgrading (and fixing) plenty of things as I type. I know it won't help my charging issue, I just wanted to know if it'd spin my pump a bit faster.

Constable

Established Member
Ok, I got the pulley here and the part number isn't making me happy. It reads: F3ZE-8509-AA. Can someone look this up and tell me what it's for. I tried punching it into several sites, but have had no luck finding what the part number equates to.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Not sure on the part number, but the pulley should be smaller than your stock pulley. I've got a pic of the two side by side, and can see part of the part number - it does appear to match...

Constable

Established Member
From everything I've found, the Cobra pulley should read F3ZZ-8509-A. Similar part number, but not exact. If you can see anymore from the pic (or if you can see it on your car), lemme know.

lone sailor

Established Member
The underdrive pullies for the alternators are notorious for not maintaining the charge on the stock alternators. The only way I know to fix this is to either, return to the stock pulley, or buy a larger amp alternator to alleviate the problem. As far as the water pump is concerned, are you sure it's not just a bad thermostat??

Users who are viewing this thread