Need help with Mach 460 and subs

trubluecobra

eh?
Established Member
I have 2 kicker compvr 12's hooked up to a bridged JBL PX600.2 (about 600 RMS running to the subs which are 400 RMS each). I have all the wires run. I spliced the line out converter into the wires going to the rear amps according to the mustangworld article and I am running 4awg power/ground wires.

The problem is when it is turned down I can feel the subs hitting the correct beats by feeling them, but it's not hitting hard enough to really be heard. When I turn it up it's just a loud flat tone. Anyone have any ideas on what the cause could be?

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
do you have the back seats pulled down?

i had two 10's in my 95 gt at one time and it sounded pretty good unless i pulled the back seats down, then it flattened out.

trubluecobra

eh?
Established Member
I've had them both up and down. If I stick my head in the trunk I can barely hear it. I can also barely feel it when I put my hands on it. When turning up the gain, it is just the flat tone it shakes my entire car.

Last edited:

trubluecobra

eh?
Established Member
No ideas? Could a bad ground cause this or maybe a bad amp? They seem to work fine when the frequency/gain are turned down (hits the notes, but can't even be heard over the stock speakers), but when turned up it no longer plays the notes from the song. It is just one flat tone (and when turned up loud enough to shake the hell out of the car). :shrug: :bash: :cuss:

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
check your grounds, and make sure you have everything in phase left going to left, r to r... etc.

thats a good idea too.

i had the mach 360 in my 95 GT and im not sure how different the 460 system it, but in my there are two small amplifers in the back of the car in the tray that contains the rear speakers. i had to hook up one of those intergration kits to mine to get it working correctly; you might have to do the same thing.

trubluecobra

eh?
Established Member
I'll try a new grounding spot later today. I did use a PAC-35 line out converter to splice into the wires that go the the rear amps according to the article at http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm. Is there another integration kit or is this what you were referring to? I double checked the wiring, but I will check again to make sure everything is going to the correct phase. Thanks for the help guys and any additional input appreciated

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I know with my line out converter, there are 2 knobs that control the gain on each channel... does yours have that? Perhaps its cranked up too far?

trubluecobra

eh?
Established Member
Yep it does have one for each channel. It was set at about 1/2 when I pulled it out of the package. I tried turning it up, but I haven't tried turning it down yet. I'll give that a try later today too

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I say leave it at 1/2 way on the converter, set the amp at about 3/4 gain, and double check your wiring to the converter. Dont worry man, you'll figure it out! :)

Users who are viewing this thread