Need help with future career.

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
Okay, this year I entered UW-Green Bay to start working on my bachelor's degree. It will be in Business Administration with a minor in economics. I am wondering what kind of job opportunities are available with this degree and the amount of money one is probable to make. I've heard that I could be a banker, stock brocker, ect. I am, however, more interested in what members here are doing for work. How they like their jobs, and so on. Any thoughts, advice and replies are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Dusten

Established Member
I am just curious why someone would choose a major, without researching what the job market is like for the careers associated with that major...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Any non professional degree (examples of professional degrees: engineering, pharmacy, nursing, accounting, etc) where you dont have a specific field of study prepares you to enter the workforce in any job other than those requiring a specialized degree.

Basically a Bachelors in Bus. Admin. will get your foot in the door in almost any business environment. It is your prior experiences and training that will get you the job.

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Any non professional degree (examples of professional degrees: engineering, pharmacy, nursing, accounting, etc) where you dont have a specific field of study prepares you to enter the workforce in any job other than those requiring a specialized degree.

Basically a Bachelors in Bus. Admin. will get your foot in the door in almost any business environment. It is your prior experiences and training that will get you the job.

I don't think you know what you are talking about wrt to your first paragraph. First of all engineering is NOT a professional degree? Are you kidding, what did you study? I have a BSME with a concentration in Mechanical Design from RPI. So you are telling me I'm not a professional? :bs:

I would like to think the four years I spent studying my butt off is worth a little more than someone dishing out pills at walmart :fm: That and the 40 K a year in tuition I spent to attend a top engineering school.

To answer the original post an MBA prepares you for a variety of of job enviornments like FordSVTFan says. The fact is you need experience because everyone has BSBA's and MBA's to set yourself apart.

Industry always needs engineers either software, mechanical, chemical, civil, aerospace and electrical. We use science and mathematics to design everything you use on a daily basis right down to the coffee pot your turn on in the am (Or program in my case:)) BSBA is a middle to lower management degree which is going to get you a purchasing job or something along those lines. If you want to make any significant $$ you best get your MBA.

One other thing to think about is when layoffs happen who do you think goes first? Middle management. That comes directly from my father's mouth who has a BSBA, MBA and a Masters from the Naval War College in Strategic Studies. He retired after 20 years naval service as an officer. In the 10 years he has been out he has been through 2-3 layoffs. That is with all this education. Choose your major wisely, and make sure it is something you like. You are going to have to do it for almost 1/3 of your life.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
cobraCMDR said:
I don't think you know what you are talking about wrt to your first paragraph. First of all engineering is NOT a professional degree? Are you kidding, what did you study? I have a BSME with a concentration in Mechanical Design from RPI. So you are telling me I'm not a professional? :bs:

Let's see, first what is "wrt"? I am saying that a non professional degree prepares you to enter the workforce in a general not a specific professional arena like engineering, pharmacy, nursing, accounting, etc.

I congratulate you on your degree, but you are not so good with reading comprehension.

As for my areas of study. I have a bachelors degree in biology and one in chemistry from Rutgers. I have a Masters degree in Finance from the Univ. of Chicago. I have Medical Degree from the Univ. of Iowa. And I am currently enrolled in Law School here in Florida.

cobraCMDR said:
I would like to think the four years I spent studying my butt off is worth a little more than someone dishing out pills at walmart :fm: That and the 40 K a year in tuition I spent to attend a top engineering school.

Once again congratulations, care for a cookie:pepper:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Njc0las said:
Nope. Sorry. If I had $1 for every worthless moron I have to work with that has a degree, I'd have like... uhh $21 or something. Anybody can learn anything they want on their own if they really wanna learn it. Please don't cry about this. It's the truth.

Interesting, how do you suggest learning to be a microbiologist, engineer, nurse, pharmacist, etc. on your own?

Just get a book:shrug:

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Originally Posted by FordSVTFan
Any non professional degree (engineering, pharmacy, nursing, accounting, etc) where you dont have a specific field of study prepares you to enter the workforce in any job other than those requiring a specialized degree.

FordSVTFan I think it is you that needs a grammar lesson. I would like to think with all your advanced degrees a mere engineer would not be able to read/write better than you? Wrt is an acronym meaning with-respect-to.

By stating non professional degee then giving exampes in parentheses various careers implies they are examples of non professional degrees. Here is an example:

Any non ford product (camero, cuda, el camino, challenger, etc) where you don't have enough power to accelerate the mass 0-60 < 7.0 seconds is going to require a power adder to beat a PI head 4.6 mustang.

Sorry for being rude in my last post but you were wrong then as you are now. Be a man and admit what you said was inaccurate and help the guy out with the original post.

To those who posted about learning through the "school of life". Sure I know plenty of people who got a good salary job without a degree. However, it will take you longer to get that job and your advancement will be limited due to the lack of a accredited degree. It sucks I know but that is how the US cast system is defined, by education.

To those who posted the comments about my statement regarding the tuition I paid, I'll have you know the statement was intended as support for my argument. An engineering degree is a professional degree, why else would there be colleges dedicated to that area of study? Hence the high tuition for the specialized schooling.

Again, my advice to the original post by sharkall2003 is consider what you are studying. With so many college graduates these days you need to look at the needs of industry so you can ensure you will have a stable job after you get the degree. I have seen to many people major in the mating habits of african butterflies or liberal arts and end up working retail with a bachelors degree because they could not get a job. If you are going to major in african butterflies you better make sure you are the best african butterfly scientist there is if you want to get a job. I think you see my point. Goodluck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread