Need help with Depo Projector Headlamps/Harness

mikeunreal

Established Member
Ok guys. We all know the SN95 headlights are crap. I am doing alot more night driving now so I figured upgrading the headlamps was a must.

I like the look of the OEM lights but needed more, so ran across a 1 piece projector lamp. They can be seen here: Ford Mustang 1994-1998 Chrome Projector Headlights by Depo Lights - FO2505113

Anyway, its a dual bulb setup so in order to convert this from the old school one bulb; they provide a harness.

The harness is a MAIN plug to (I assume) go into one of the headlamp plugs, 2 grounds, 2 powers to plug up to the battery, and two powers to the headlamps with one plug for high and one plug for low.

The questions I have is when I hook everything up and turn the headlamps on, the old headlight comes right one while the new one does not.

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this or this brand?? Any help would be awesome

Mike

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Ok guys. We all know the SN95 headlights are crap. I am doing alot more night driving now so I figured upgrading the headlamps was a must.

I like the look of the OEM lights but needed more, so ran across a 1 piece projector lamp. They can be seen here: Ford Mustang 1994-1998 Chrome Projector Headlights by Depo Lights - FO2505113

Anyway, its a dual bulb setup so in order to convert this from the old school one bulb; they provide a harness.

The harness is a MAIN plug to (I assume) go into one of the headlamp plugs, 2 grounds, 2 powers to plug up to the battery, and two powers to the headlamps with one plug for high and one plug for low.

The questions I have is when I hook everything up and turn the headlamps on, the old headlight comes right one while the new one does not.

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this or this brand?? Any help would be awesome

Mike

Get both DEPOT lights plugged in and forget about the old one.. The depot lights are triggered from ONE of the stock plugs, not both, so if you don't have both plugged in, you don't have the trigger plugged in. Make sense?

Just install the depots completely and they should work. It's a simple wiring job.

I started with the end of the harness at the passenger light and worked my way backwards towards the drivers light and then to the power distribution center

laddanator

Established Member
Get both DEPOT lights plugged in and forget about the old one.. The depot lights are triggered from ONE of the stock plugs, not both, so if you don't have both plugged in, you don't have the trigger plugged in. Make sense?

Just install the depots completely and they should work. It's a simple wiring job.

I started with the end of the harness at the passenger light and worked my way backwards towards the drivers light and then to the power distribution center

^This! The wiring harness looks intimidating at first (to me anyway) but I started on the passenger side and ran all the slack to the driver side. Took like 15 mins to run and hide everything. Not hard at all. Lights turned right on. I used the big main light plug on the driver side. You won't use the main stock light plug on the passenger side.

I agree! I hope like hell you didn't pay 200 bucks for the lights!?

mikeunreal

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys! I sure did not, I think I paid 120 or something. I just found that to be the easiest reference point. I think the problem was I did not have both of the depo lights plugged in, just one. I can't wait to see the results!! I plan to do this tomorrow.

mikeunreal

Established Member
Can I ground them into the same screw, I was looking at using one of the two about where the drivers headlight is, looks like the perfect spot. ALSO, can I use both of the powers on the same side of the battery, or should I do one on each side. Thanks guys.

Mike

laddanator

Established Member
Can I ground them into the same screw, I was looking at using one of the two about where the drivers headlight is, looks like the perfect spot. ALSO, can I use both of the powers on the same side of the battery, or should I do one on each side. Thanks guys.

Mike

Yes, I grounded both grounds under that ground screw above the radiator. I ran my two power feeds to the actual fuse box under the hood. The main harness comes off the front of box. I slide the black cover off, removed nut and put both hot wires there and slide the cover back on.

mikeunreal

Established Member
Well I got it hooked up, kind of. I found that the screws that came with the set of headlights were crap; and kind of frankensteined the OEM hardward to work. Broke some stuff in the process, but got it all in. My lows work fine, but I have no high beams..? I grounded mine to the 2 screws above the drivers side headlight. What do you guys think the issue could be?

laddanator

Established Member
Well I got it hooked up, kind of. I found that the screws that came with the set of headlights were crap; and kind of frankensteined the OEM hardward to work. Broke some stuff in the process, but got it all in. My lows work fine, but I have no high beams..? I grounded mine to the 2 screws above the drivers side headlight. What do you guys think the issue could be?

Not sure I can be of help anymore. My install went flawlessly. Everything worked no problem and nothing got broke and I'm not sure what you mean by the screws that came with the lights? If you mean the adjusters that come on the headlights, I used the Depo ones that came on them. :shrug:

Wish I could help. Did you run the hot wires on the main fuse box bolt?

mikeunreal

Established Member
No sir not yet, I will have to try that. I tried to push the headlights in too far and broke the mounting screws that came with the depo lights, so I had to pull the OEM ones off my stock headlights and use them. Plus, it was a tighter fit as well.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Anyone else have issues with their relays going bad. I replaced them once and now my high beam relay has gone out. Not the biggest deal in the world to replace, but they are not easy to find.

laddanator

Established Member
Anyone else have issues with their relays going bad. I replaced them once and now my high beam relay has gone out. Not the biggest deal in the world to replace, but they are not easy to find.

I havent had a bad relay yet. Where are you getting your relays from? May need to stock up on a few.

LDC2335

Established Member

Yes, two in the last few months. One was filled with water, which was odd because it was behind the headlight. 6 bucks on Amazon and I was good to go. Electrical tapped them down from relay to wires. Hope it lasts longer. First one lasted about a year though.

laddanator

Established Member
Yes, two in the last few months. One was filled with water, which was odd because it was behind the headlight. 6 bucks on Amazon and I was good to go. Electrical tapped them down from relay to wires. Hope it lasts longer. First one lasted about a year though.

Do you have a link for the relays?

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
The one that come with it was a 30 amp. I have amazon prime and needed it in a hurry, so I got the 40 since it was the only one available. Its been working great.

DC 12V 40A NO 4 Pin 6.5mm Mounting Hole 4 Pins Socket Automotive Truck Car Relay - Amazon.com

It is fine to put a larger rated relay into a kit such as this - that simply means the relay is rated up to 40 amps. The limiting factor of the kit to protect the wiring and other electric components (the fuse) should remain unchanged.

Can't help with the high beam issue, I've had two of these kits on my cars for 4+ years now (with HIDs on the lows) and had zero issues.

laddanator

Established Member
The one that come with it was a 30 amp. I have amazon prime and needed it in a hurry, so I got the 40 since it was the only one available. Its been working great.

DC 12V 40A NO 4 Pin 6.5mm Mounting Hole 4 Pins Socket Automotive Truck Car Relay - Amazon.com

Thanks for the link!

It is fine to put a larger rated relay into a kit such as this - that simply means the relay is rated up to 40 amps. The limiting factor of the kit to protect the wiring and other electric components (the fuse) should remain unchanged.

Can't help with the high beam issue, I've had two of these kits on my cars for 4+ years now (with HIDs on the lows) and had zero issues.

Same here. Used them on two different cars and zero issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread