Need help with connector.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
UPDATED WITH PICS AND HOW TO REPAIR IT!

I was finishing installing this round of mods and everything was going smooth until I had to plug in the throttle body. When I went to plug in the throttle body connector on the driver's side I saw a little piece of plastic fly out. The little locking tab in the connector broke. What pisses me off is that I even made sure that the red tab was pulled out and that I was extra gentle. I am not very good at wiring so I am asking for your help.

Can this connector be replaced?
If yes, how do I replace it?
Where can I buy the connector?

20140716_184817.jpg

You can actually see where it broke above the red parts in this pic.
20140716_184827.jpg

The connector no will not lock in place with it broken. Your help is greatly appriciated!

Last edited:

Teddy O

Established Member
This is a situation that would frustrate me, sorry buddy!

I'd start by stopping by your local dealer to see if they have, or can get, this connector body or this connector as a pigtail. You'll need some helpful and patient parts guys in my opinion.

If the dealer is no help I'd go to the local junkyard and cut this plug off another junked Stang. Hopefully this plug is the same in V6 and GT's. Also, I wouldn't rule out finding this plug under the hood of multiple Ford products, such as a Taurus or Fusion.

If you are able to cut one off another vehicle, it's just a matter of carefully repinning the plug with the new connecter body.

Good luck!

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Quick and dirty? Carefully drill a small hole through the connector and plug body and carefully install a small SHORT screw. It looks like there's enough safe space to do it. As an alternative, the Ford dealer should have a pigtail for every connector on the car. It's probably a Motorcraft part and maybe Rock Auto will have it. www.rockauto.com

Steve

Late thought. If it makes you feel better you could use a non-conductive nylon screw from a household light switch plate. Available at Home Depot, etc.

Last edited:

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Update: It appears to be a connector of many uses. It is most likely Motorcraft WPT 948 available for about $18 to about $40.

Steve

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Thanks for the help. I actually just came in here to update it with the part number but you beat me to it. Lol

I have no clue how to repin it tho...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Pull one wire out, stick it in the matching hole on the new plug. Repeat until finished. Since you already have a new plug, no point in trying to be gentle with the old one. Cut the old one open if you have to, pin by pin. Use a dremel if you have one. If not, a small hacksaw will work as well.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I believe the new one comes as a pigtail so I would have to depin the new one as well. I might buy 2. One to learn on and one to install. If I can buy just the connector I will probably just cut up the old one like you suggested.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Oh, dude! You're golden then, if you know how to solder. Just cut the old one off and match up the wires. Easy peasy. Just make sure to use some good shrink wrap or electrical tape to cover the individual splices.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
This connector is pretty common and used on several Fords so I documented how I fixed it without having to cut/alter anything in the car. I actually bought 2 connectors. One to learn on and one to install. It was so simple I didn't even need to open the second one up.

1. The part you need is Motorcraft WPT-948. on the right side of the picture is the pick I used to get the job done.
20140718_172147.jpg

2. Take scary looking dentist pick and pry the red square cover off. This needs to come off so you can access the pins release. Behind the red square is a rubber boot. Leave that part on. Just try to remove the red hard plastic square not the rubber boot.
20140718_173203.jpg

3. This is what it looks like if you were successful. Red cover off with undamaged red boot left on. If the boot comes off just put it back on.
20140718_173220.jpg

4. With that cover out of the way it gives you access to the two holes under the pin that hides the release. Take the dentist torture tool and put it in the hole (not in the metal pin opening). Aim the sharp point of your pick up gently sliding along the bottom of the pin until it stops. Now push the release down and pull the pin out. It should come out without putting up much of a fight. If you have to pull hard it is not released.
20140718_173232.jpg

5. Success!
20140718_173430.jpg

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
The money shot! Now I am only patiently waiting for my tune before I get to go have fun.
20140716_193658.jpg

Last edited:

North500

Established Member
Holy crap I ended up with exactly the same issue as you did, at the same time it seems. You just saved me a pile of time/money/frustration by posting this thread and I can't thank you enough!!:read:

:rockon::rockon::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread