Need Help with CCW Lips

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Okay so I recently got a set of brand new Classics with black centers. When they first came in I really wasn't impressed with their polish job on the lips, you could see fine scratches all over them and I just didn't think they should like like that brand new. Being annoyed, I busted out my bottle of Adams Metal Polish #1 and began polishing by hand. I noticed right off the bat that every time I polish an area it would have a small shiny spot, then leave an ugly haze around it. I have tried using a mini power ball and cotton wheel on a drill yet this shit keeps happening. The scratches are no longer visible but the haze just ruins the look of the lips. Using the same polish, I polished an intercooler and the center caps without having this problem at all. Can anyone help me out with this? Does CCW have some kind of coating on the lips when they ship out?

Good looking polished section on the right, hazing on the left. Sorry for the crap pic but the hazing is obvious

ae5gfb.jpg

Last edited:

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
In case anyone was wondering how amazingly polished my lips were right out of the box, here is the last wheel that has not been touched with any extra polish, masking off black centers and a few finger prints. Look at the lovely scratches on the lips in certain lights, they look super shiny in some angles but then you catch one like this and it looks like my $2600+ was well spent :/

15d9vmp.jpg

You can even see the kind of swirl marks in the aluminum along that first edge, the adams polish takes these out sort of but leaves the haze in that first picture. I really need to find a fix for this, I feel like I just wasted all that money to get crap rims.

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I would call before I polished them and talk with them. For 3k, I would be on the phone with them

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
I spoke to them today and they said I could ship them back to get polished better. The problem is I don't have that option since this car is going on a trip in about 2 weeks and needs to be done. Its just weird to me that the polish is causing this hazing on the lips only. The center caps don't do it and my intercooler didn't seem to have the issue either. I am hoping the adams #2 will take the haze out and make it look like they should but we'll see.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey bro can't believe you went public with this lol.. Have you tried semi-chrome polish?? It can be found at Winchester Auto.. I use it on my HRE's..

wudy

Established Member
To spend that kind of money for brand new rims that need work when you recieve them is total B.S. These are the rims I will purchase for my Cobra someday, so to see this is extremely disapointing. I think you should post this in the Terminator forum or the Pics and Video for more views. I also think you should return them and mabey consider a T.F wheel. Good luck.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Did you ask them what product they recommend you to use?

I use Mothers Billet polish on a Powerball followed by microfiber rags. Always does a great job even when they are less than stellar.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Yeah they recommended the billet polish but every place around my area says they have been recalled. I managed to get one tiny jar of it but wasn't really pleased with the results compared to adams. The parts where it actually shined, the Adam's really looks great. I am basically just going to go over them several times with the #1 then when the #2 comes in I'm just going to hope that I can apply it by hand real quick and get any leftover hazing out.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Look up the product shine seal, used to be Zoop seal. I heard nothing but good things, I'm going to get some soon

KevinE

Established Member
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike. I told you I have some stuff that came in my polishing kit that is a super light abrasive that should work better than what u have used. Lemme know how the #2 works....if its not up to par...i'll swing by and we can play with em some more.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
Did they say how much they would charge you to do this?

They did not mention it but if they charged me a dime I would be pissed, these wheels came in needing work which they should not have at all. They must have coated the lips with something because i just can't seem to get away from this hazing crap.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Since you don't have time to send them back ...wet sand using 1500, then 2000 grit and quick detail as the lube. Follow that up with regular Mother's or your Adam's polish, then apply a coat of Poorboy's Sealant (or equivalent).

Here are my before and after photos. I bought mine used and had to bring them back to life using the above method.

Before
IMG_0223.JPG

After
IMG_0232.JPG

F8L BYT

Established Member
Since you don't have time to send them back ...wet sand using 1500, then 2000 grit and quick detail as the lube. Follow that up with regular Mother's or your Adam's polish, then apply a coat of Poorboy's Sealant (or equivalent).

Here are my before and after photos. I bought mine used and had to bring them back to life using the above method.

Before
IMG_0223.JPG

After
IMG_0232.JPG

Ready to sell those to me yet? :D :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread