Need help with brakes

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
I installed Baer 6 piston calipers on my the outside pistons don't seem to be working . Any Ideas
Thanks in advance

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the brake pedal firm when you push on it? Mine took awhile to bleed completely.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
Yes its not 100 % I took it for a drive it seem to get real hot on the driver side . Only 3 of the pistons are moving .

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
What is the hex screw on the bottom of the caliper for ?

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
LOL that's what I am doing now . You think the air is not allowing all pistons to be pushed out ?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Assuming you shimmed the caliper bracket to center the caliper over the rotor and you're bleeding properly, yes, you still have air in the system.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
That kit should've come with a set of shims. Who did you buy the brakes from? You can also use thin washers. It is extremely important to square that caliper over the rotor. Take the brake pads off the caliper. Tighten the rotor down with lug nuts and measure the top and bottom clearance of the caliper to the rotor on both the inside and the outside. Add shims or washers underneath the bracket till you have equal measurements at all four points.

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
I had an issue they sent me the wrong color/ I sent it back to them . When they sent it back it had no banjo bolts . No shims no instructions

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
Can you shim only the top if it needs it and not the bottom ?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
No problem, here is my setup.

CaliperBuff006.jpg

CaliperBuff005.jpg

P1014901_zps97ouoiaq.jpg

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
They look awesome . One question should they have supplied new bolts for the brackets ? Or do you use your old ones

Last edited:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I got all new hardware with my kit. Since you used the old bolts already, I guess they'll work. It's been over 5 years since I put those calipers on, the one thing I remember was backing those bolts out three or four times and adding shims till I got the caliper square over the rotor. Getting those calipers situated properly, is a time consuming process.

01yellercobra

Established Member
No, you will need to shim both equally. It takes some time to get it right, adding shims and measuring.
You can tweak it a little. Mine weren't square and needed a little more distance on top I think. But it was like one of the thinnest shims. The instructions said that might be necessary.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread