Need help with an issue

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Figured I would ask this question in here because it is an odd one.

I drove to work yesterday morning in my 13' F150. It had snowed and the roads were snowy so I was in 4x4 on the highway for about 40 miles. Get to the place I'm auditing, no issues. Parked the truck and that was that.

When it comes time to leave, I get onto the highway (in 2wd) and the truck is shaking very badly. You can feel it in the pedals, floorboards, and the steering wheel. This only happens at highway speeds 50mph and up.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

It was around 1-16 degrees out. From the time I left in the morning to the time I went home.

Thank you.

ARavenousChimp

Just a GT
Established Member
Snow in the barrels of the wheels? I had that happen with my STi. Shook all the way to work which was out of the ordinary. Got to work and saw the barrels were full of snow. Pushed it out after work and it drove home like normal.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yup, snow or ice on the wheels. Some wheel styles are really bad about letting that happen. My GTI was TERRIBLE when it snowed.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Yep, been there on my 99 GT.

Bad snow storm and had to drive through deep snow that was higher than the bottom of the car.
Snow built up in the wheels causing the steering wheel to shake. Had to get out and clean out each wheel by hand.
Also had one tailpipe clogged with snow.

MFE

Established Member
Classic case of snow/ice on the wheels. It'll resolve itself when you get enough heat in the brakes that the wheels warm up and melt it off.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I am away from the car but had my dad check the wheels, he said there wasn't any snow on them (I am guessing he looked at the faces of the wheels only).

There may be ice on the inside of the wheels though, as I noticed water on the wheels yesterday by the wheel weight area.

Could it be anything else?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It could be other things. Anything from broken or worn suspension pieces, to a tire that has had it's core let go.

Given the circumstance it's more than likely snow/ice in the wheel barrels.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
The truck has 28K miles on it, turns perfectly and stops perfectly. Goes in and out of 4x4 perfectly and handles perfectly with 2wd or in 4x4 so i doubt it could be worn suspension parts.

Im going to let the truck sit inside a heated garage for the night to let it warm up and then see if the issue still persists after that.

Thank you for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread