Need help with a sound...

TheyCallMeDoc

Established Member
Long story short: 03 Cobra with 2.4 Kenne Bell, LFP heat exchanger (among other things). Jumped a curb coming around a corner at about 20 mph, I thought everything was fine because I didn't see any fluids (chin spoiler took the brunt of it), so I drove home, assessed the damage, didn't really see a lot going on. A couple days go by, I notice the exhaust is leaking, so I jack up the car to take care of it (turns out I needed and didn't have PB Blaster, complete bust) and notice coolant on various parts under the car. Turns out I cracked the heat exchanger and all of the coolant had disappeared somewhere between me leaving the curb and that day (two or three, don't remember exactly). So I had been driving to and from work, 35 mile round trip, with nothing cooling the KB, and even though it was cold outside (these were the 15-20 degree days we had a week or two ago) and I wasn't dogging on it, when I noticed there was a problem (probably four hours later) the KB was still warm to the touch, so I can't imagine how hot it got the 45 minutes each way.

I took a video to try and capture the sound, it's intermittent, and you hear it best when I come around to the other side (just luck I was on that side, you can hear it from anywhere). It sounds like it's coming from the snout, which coincidentally there's oil leaking from the snout seal onto the hose underneath it and the belts (which I'm assuming explains the atrocious belt squeal). I really need help with this, and I'm afraid to even start it until I know what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/n9FRK0IEL4Q

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You talking about the chirping? Best way to try to locate that would be either an automotive stethoscope if you've got one, or a long screwdriver if you don't. I'm assuming you don't have a scope, so just grab a screw driver and put it behind each pulley (or on the stationary center bolt...just be careful) and put your ear to it. Should be pretty easy to identify the source of the sound in this manner.

That sounds like a bad bearing on an idler pulley (or tensioner) to me...wouldn't be the first time either. There is an idler pulley in the trunk that had one of the bearings fail, pretty sure it was the upper idler actually.

As far as the coolant goes...as long as you weren't romping on it, you are probably ok. Having the engine still be warm to the touch after a couple of hours isn't going to be to unusual. That inter cooler isn't to cool the KB, it's to cool the intake charge. If you romped on it with no fluid in the IC system, the concern would be a blown engine (from high intake temps resulting in detonation), not a damaged blower.

I can see from the video you've got a fair amount of belt dust on top the blower also. I've got some spare belts for that thing down here in a box waiting for you. Probably time to change it out...if you got oil on the belt, and it was slipping, that belt might be done. You can swap it out with one of the spares and see if that cures your slippage issue.

If you hopped a curb at that speed, you might also want to check for things like bent tie rods and any other suspension damage.

Users who are viewing this thread