Need help with a laptop

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
As of this mornin my 1.5 year old Gateway laptop crapped the bed. When I turn it on it makes noise like its starting to boot up but then just stops. Makes noise for maybe 2 or 3 seconds then nothing. And nothing happens on the screen. It was working 100% fine last night.

Naturally it is out of warranty, and Gateways only solution is for me to ship it to them for repair, which after shipping will be to the tune of $250!:fm:

I'm posting this here as a last ditch effort. Hoping someone can help me, or point me in the right direction. You would be my hero :bowdown:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
possible the hard drive. Do you see a bunch of jibberish pop up on the screen where you can get to the BIOS?

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I would think that if it was the hard drive it would come up and say something like: invalid or missing boot disk. If your laptop came with a boot or restore disk put it in and let it boot from it. Just to see that it is the hard drive and not the motherboard. You may have to go into the Bios setup and select to Boot from CD. Good luck.

txyaloo

Established Member
Hook it up to an external monitor and then try to boot. That's the easiest first step. If something comes up, then either your video card or laptop display are having problems. If nothing comes up, there's other issues.

If nothing comes up, I'd remove the access door on the bottom of the system and reseat any components you can see down there. I'd also try removing the RAM and starting the system without it. You should get a series of beep codes. If you get no beep codes, then your motherboard is probably fried.

If after reseating everything, getting no beep codes, etc, you still have no boot, then you need to send it. It's hard to troubleshoot laptops without a known good system to swap parts from and most home users don't have one.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Hook it up to an external monitor and then try to boot. That's the easiest first step. If something comes up, then either your video card or laptop display are having problems. If nothing comes up, there's other issues.

If nothing comes up, I'd remove the access door on the bottom of the system and reseat any components you can see down there. I'd also try removing the RAM and starting the system without it. You should get a series of beep codes. If you get no beep codes, then your motherboard is probably fried.

If after reseating everything, getting no beep codes, etc, you still have no boot, then you need to send it. It's hard to troubleshoot laptops without a known good system to swap parts from and most home users don't have one.

do what he said. Since you are getting nothing, either the screens shot or your motherboard just said F U and quit.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
This same thing happened to my old HP laptop. I calmly walked out to our back balcony and chucked it. Got a Mac, no problems what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread