Need help with a custom fuel system

mustangmike6996

Established Member
I have a 1951 Ford F1 truck and a 4.6L DOHC C-head, Teksid block and pretty much all stock parts.

I have a 2001 stock Cobra ECM and a 2003 chipped Cobra ECM.

I have a standalone harness that was from a 2003 Cobra that I will be using in the truck and a 1969 Mustang fuel tank (returnless sender)

So what would you all recommend for my fuel system components?

I need a fuel pump (inline), fuel filter and some way to regulate the setup.

I have the stock 01 Cobra intake with rails, injectors and regualtor. Can that regulator be used?

Thanks for any input.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The 01 doesn't have a regulator. It's a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRPS). I don't think the 96-98 fuel rails will fit the 01 intake. If they do then you can use the stock regulator. If they don't then I think your best bet will be getting aftermarket rails and making your own return set up. You can get a custom tank that comes with the pump, sending unit, and fittings already. Then you just have to run the lines up to the engine bay. I'm assuming you're going to run an N/A set up. You can have the returnless set up turned off in the tune for either ECU. But if you're going N/A I'd use the 01.

mustangmike6996

Established Member
It will be N/A. Id prefer to stick with the current tank setup due to the amount of fab work/cost of a custom tank.

Do you know if I can turn the sending unit into a return style or could I modify the tank to have a port with a fitting to feed the return fuel back?

For the cost of the tank I could go with aftermarket parts to accomplish the same desired result I think. I just really dont know what parts to look at.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The return part isn't in the sending unit itself. All you need is a bung to connect the return line. You can get fancy and have one brazed or welded onto the tank or go as simple as using a bulkhead fitting in the filler neck.

mustangmike6996

Established Member
The return part isn't in the sending unit itself. All you need is a bung to connect the return line. You can get fancy and have one brazed or welded onto the tank or go as simple as using a bulkhead fitting in the filler neck.

Awesome. I wasnt sure where the best location was for a return port. I might weld it (new empty tank so no worries) the filler neck is in the center of the bed but I might be able to figure something out as well.

So since I will be doing a return style, what components will I need for the pump, pressure regulator, filter?

Im not opposed to an aftermarket rail with a regulator but I dont need to go overboard with parts.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The pump I'm not sure of. I've only dealt with in take pumps and I imagine they wouldn't be happy being run externally. For the rails I'd keep an eye on the market. Used ones pop up and it's not like they wear out. You can get a set without the FRPS mount for a smoother look too. I would imagine a Summit brand regulator would be fine without breaking the bank. When I did my line upgrade I used all Fragola stuff and never had an issue. I used the standard cloth braided line and didn't have a fuel smell.

Users who are viewing this thread