Need help with 96 GT stalling

blucobra03

Established Member
I have a 96 Mustang GT with a K&N Filtercharger kit and Flowmasters. Other than that it is stock. The car has approx. 125K miles on it. It goes through regular maintenance by myself, for the most part. It has been to Ford due to bad tranny and had to be replaced a few years ago. The car has been running ok. This morning, the wife starts the car and out of the blue it starts to hesitate badly. She calls me with her cell to tell me the car isn't running right and I hear it in the background. She has to keep the rpm up or it stalls. She got it home ok using the brake and keeping the idle up. When I get home, I start it up and get the same thing. :shrug: When I get it to start, I raise the rpm up to 5k and ease it back down to approx. 600 rpm before it starts to stall again. I did this several times. As long as I keep the rpm up it's fine. If I take my foot off the accelerator, it stalls immediately. :cuss: So what do you folks think it is ? Could it be a bad TPS ? What about fuel pump ? The fuel filter hasn't been changed in 50k miles. I don't have anyway to check for codes unless someone can tell me a way to do it by turning the key off and on a certain number of times, etc.. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. I have to get this thing running so the wife can get to work. Thanks for your help !! ;-)

MAXX RS4

Established Member
I'd check the iac, tps, and definitely change the fuel filter.. More than likely it's the tps.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
sounds more like the iac (idle air control valve) to me. if it hasnt been replaced before, take it out and clean it with some degreaser until you can get a new one.

bakeme9699

Established Member
Yep I agree, idle air control motor sounds bad...about $100 through ford and about 5 minutes to install.

Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago.

blucobra03

Established Member
Hey guys, I tried the tapping the IAC and sure enough the car ran fine. :rockon: I just changed it out with a new one from Ford and it is running ok. I bought a new TPS also. I thought I would go ahead and do some preventative work. However, when I tried to get those two phillips head screws off, they wouldn't budge. :cuss: I almost stripped out the top screw. I tried tapping on the screwdriver with a hammer while trying to rotate the screw heads but no luck. I thought about just breaking the plastic around the screws but since I don't know whats under there I thought I better not. I also called the dealer and they don't have any new screws in stock. Can't find any in Florida, so they would have to order them and the least amount they can get is a box of 10 for $1.86 each. Does anyone have any thoughts how to get them off there ? I noticed the engine rpm is a little higher at idle now too. I don't know if that is a result of the new IAC or tapping on the TPS screw heads. It is idling around 800-850 in drive with the brake on and a/c on. I thought it use to idle around 700-750 rpm. Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this. You guys are awesome !!

Users who are viewing this thread