need help with 2005 ford explorer

99cobra302

Established Member
i know this is roadside, but i need some help.

i have a friend who had an issue with her 2005 Ford Explorer with 55,000 miles. she says that it will run but not make any power, like it will idle but when the gas is pressed the car doesnt go anywhere, only idle...pressing that gas doesnt open the throttle. she took it to the dealer, and they told her it was her throttle. it would cost 900 bucks to fix, but they cant get the part in until February/March. she called me in tears because she needs her car to get to work and that is alot of money.

i asked if maybe it was the throttle body that they were talking about, and she said that sounded closer to what he said. i did some checking and i guess this is somewhat of an issue with the 04-05 explorers/mountaineer's

here is my question, if its just a throttle body (the ford part is like 429.52 i found online) why couldnt i just get a throttle body from american muscle for 140 bucks? i dont want to tell her is no problem for me to do because i have done this on a mustang before and find out the explorer is totally different and i have everything taken apart already. the only thing i can think of is that it is a drive-by-wire system and the way the cable/wire mounts to the throttle body is different.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Most likely cause is the motor of the tb itself, or possibly the pcm is fried and not taking commands for electronic throttle control.

My first try would be to get a used tb and pop that in...should be no more than 10-15 minutes if you know how to turn a wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread