Need help with 1996 Cobra code P0301

IA-SteveB

Established Member
This is kind of a long post, but here goes.

6-5-2016

Last fall I had a problem with my 72k mile Cobra stumbling and missing in all gears around 1800-2100 RPM. The IMRCs were functioning fine (and they still are). I changed the fuel filter and had the ignition system tested on a scope by a local shop last fall. They found out later that the plug wire on cylinder 1 was bad. I replaced the whole set with genuine Motorcrafts and the problem went away … for 3000 miles. This morning, I noticed the car started doing almost exactly the same thing and not setting any kind of a code. I think I will change the plugs with a fresh set to see what that does. I am thinking that the misfire may have fouled the plug on cylinder 1 last year and maybe it is just now acting up because of that.

Update: 6-6-2016
I correctly gapped and changed the plugs and there was no change in the symptoms at all. All of the old Autolite plugs were fine and not fouled. Cylinder 3 did have very small amount of oil in the spark plug tube that coated the very bottom of the plug body. I know this is very symptomatic of a perished spark plug tube o-ring seal in the valve cover.

So now I am left with only a few possibilities now that the wires and plugs are new with no change in the symptoms.

1. A defective spark plug wire in the set I just put on to seemingly correct the problem 3000 miles ago. It could be shorting to the block somehow but I am not sure.
  2. A bad coil but these had tested fine on a scope by the shop when the problem originally surfaced 3000 miles ago. As soon as I got home from the shop that diagnosed the problem and changed the spark plug wires, it was corrected. The car ran perfectly fine for the 3000 miles since I thought I had corrected the problem with new wires. I don’t have an extra to test that theory with.
  3. The leaking o-ring in spark plug tube 3 allowed oil to seep in over that 3000 miles and ruined that spark plug wire. I don’t have an extra to test that theory with but the cable is clean and dry and like I said, it was a small amount.
  4. Bad fuel injector somewhere

Update: 6-7-2016

I looked at the spark plug tube on cylinder 3 again to see if it had oiled up again and it hadn’t. The spark plug boot was clean and dry so I am kind of ruling out that cylinder as the cause of the miss. I cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaning spray and reseated all of the spark plug wires again. Took it for a test drive and there is no change at all. I will still change the passenger side valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals as a maintenance item but I do not believe it is causing my current problem.
I think the only thing I can do is schedule it to be scoped again so it can be accurately diagnosed. I don’t want to guess and throw parts at it.

Update 6-8-2016

So, the car finally set a code P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected. The car is really running badly now. This is the same cylinder that was diagnosed as having a bad spark plug wire last year. As I stated, I replaced the spark plug wires at that time and the problem went away but came back this week after 3000 miles. I don’t get what is going on with that!

I put a spark tester on cylinder 1 and it seemed to give good spark. I checked the whole side and they all seemed to have a similar look to the spark. I was bummed because I had expected to get no spark on cylinder 1 which would have indicated a bad wire or coil tower. I had planned to swap wires between 1 and 5 (short cables) to see if the problem followed the wire thus telling me if it was the coil or the wire. With my luck I would switch them and the ECM wouldn't set a code.

I don’t know whether to think the 3000 mile wire is defective or not. Logic tells me the coil is bad but I am not often right when throwing parts at a problem.

The other option could be a bad fuel injector on that cylinder. Based on that, I tested the injector and it came back at 14.6 ohms, which seems within spec. I put a noid light on the harness and it lit fine with the injector pulse signal from the ECM.

Just curious what you all think and I appreciate any responses. This is getting frustrating. My vote is still for a bad coil but I just don't know. It is a non-returnable part so if it isn't the problem I will have wasted the money. I really expected to find I had no spark on cylinder 1 due to the wire or coil but found neither to be the case. The wire also showed a resistance of 8.65.

Last edited:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
I swapped in a good coil on the passenger side and it didn't change anything. Just for the heck of it, I swapped it to the other side and it didn't change anything either. I tested the fuel injector resistance again and it was 14.6 ... normal. I tried the noid light and it pulsed correctly. I disconnected the fuel injector while it was idling and the idle quality didn't change at all which tells me cylinder 1 isn't contributing anything.

I think I am left with just a few possibilities:
1. clogged fuel injector on cyl 1
2. burned exhaust valve
3. compression issue on cyl 1

I am out of ideas so I am taking it to a shop Tuesday to get is professionally looked at. I am burned out on it.

Last edited:

cbrown9064

Established Member
I'll take even odds on it being the injector
y

^^^This...

You may be able to swap 1 and 5 injectors without pulling the upper. If the misfire follows, you know what it is. I just pulled a bad #5 injector without pulling the upper. but pulling the upper off is a piece of cake anyway. Do that and see what you get.

I would also be suspect of the wires (again). Hard to believe, but possible.

chao5.0

Established Member
I would definitely swap injectors with another cylinder to see if the problem remains or moves, so far the ignition system seems to be fine.

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Thanks for the responses, guys. I will update the thread after testing. I am really hoping the injector is clogged. The internal electronics pass but that only tells us so much. Of course, my three possibilities I settled on are in order of worry. :) I can't imagine it being compression or burned valves on a moderately driven 75k mile car but anything can happen with cars.

Last edited:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Well, I took it to the shop by my house since they are pretty good. They did my clutch a few months ago.

Anyway, they just called and went through what they did to troubleshoot the system and it was pretty much everything I did. They saw on the scope that cylinder 1 wasn't contributing anything. They tested spark and the electronics of the injector just like I did. They checked compression and did a leakdown test (which I didn't do) to check the valves and it was perfect. They think it is the injector as we have all thought. They are going to try a power flush to see if it clears it up. I will know more later today.

One the one hand, I am happy. I have no idea how much the bill will be but I kind of feel like I did the same diagnostics to come to that conclusion with the exception of the compression and leakdown tests. I guess that part gives me peace of mind at least. If the flush doesn't work, I think I will just take it home and order a new injector from Rock Auto and put it in myself. I don't want to pay retail and labor for that when I can do it. I also plan on doing the Seafoam IMRC cleaning method that I read about on here. I may have to go out to my uncle's house in the country to do that because I understand it makes quite a smoke show.

I will report back the final details....

Last edited:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
I do have a question. There is a distinct possibility I will have to replace the #1 injector, which is fine. They said the car doesn't seem to be 100% all the time after the injector flush so the injector might have to be replaced. I have replaced them plenty of times on Turbo Buicks but never on a Cobra. If I am just replacing injector 1, do I really have to take off the upper intake to get to it? I was thinking I could just loosen the two fuel rail bolts on that side and rock the #1 injector out of the manifold without much fuss. Do I really have to go through the hassle of removing the upper intake and disconnecting the fuel rail as an assembly?

The shop said they weren't sure if the fuel system cleaning would do it but they wanted $250 to put in a reman injector. I ordered one from Autozone for $50 so I could have it on hand in case I do have to replace it myself this weekend.

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Removing the intake plenum/upper intake isn't too difficult. Just the matter of removing/un-bolting the TB+Cable Bracket, EGR+EGR Vacuum Solenoid, IAC, DPFE Sensor, vacuum/PCV lines and bolts for the upper intake... volia!

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Thanks. I will give it a shot on Friday when my injector arrives. The cleaning didn't do anything for the car so the injector is definitely clogged beyond saving. It will be nice to be running 100% again.

I may try to see if I can do just the 1 injector without removing the manifold but we will see.

Last edited:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Well, lucky for me you can remove the cylinder 1 injector without pulling the intake. I just removed the strut tower brace and then the two fuel rail bolts. I was able to carefully rock the injector out. That saved me a $35 intake gasket and some time. I pick up the injector tomorrow so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it seats properly after lubing the rings with fresh engine oil.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Just for future reference, the intake gaskets are re-usable. (Assuming they're in good shape)

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Good to know. I had the parts store order one just in case because I would have hated to have torn it down and needed it. Around here I have to order everything for this car.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Good to know. I had the parts store order one just in case because I would have hated to have torn it down and needed it. Around here I have to order everything for this car.

I know how you feel... As time goes on, parts for these cars are becoming obsolete/much more hard to find too. :bored:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Well, I changed out the injector on cylinder 1 and it didn't change a thing. I am so frustrated because I really thought this would do it and so did the shop I took it to so I could confirm my diagnosis. I have no idea what it could be now. It runs like complete crap with no power. Coils are fine. Plugs are fine. Plug wires are fine. Compression and leakdown is fine. Injector is new. What else could have set off the code? It hasn't set it again since this test drive post injector change but it still runs terribly.

I took the wires off of the coils to inspect them. I found some of them look like this:
wp-1466204743279-e1466204929369.jpg

Cylinders 2 8 and 7 look like this:
wp-1466204761700-e1466204953491.jpg

I did swap in a new coil on both sides to test earlier in the week. Could this just be burned dielectric grease from the new one? This has me worried.

Last edited:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
So I got some bad news from the shop. They took the valve cover off and found scoring around the valve. The mechanic said he felt like the shims at the base of the valve spring were moving allowing the spring to move the shims and score the area. I snapped a pic I will post. Intake valves on cylinder 1 and 2 looked like that while the rest did not have that scoring. He wants to remove the head and send it to the machine shop to be diagnosed to determine whether it can be fixed or if I need a reman head. He feels that the valve is binding and sticking because of the play. Has anyone seen this happen before? I am going to be in this for 2 grand minimum but he wants to inspect the other head too just in case.

Last edited:

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Well, the driver side head has the same problem. Cylinders 1 and 2 in the passenger side and 5 and 6 in the driver side all show that same scoring. The machine shop says it can't be salvaged and it will need new heads now. I may not be explaining this correctly but they think the valve guides allowed the valves to move around and cause the damage to the head. It allowed the valve spring cups/shims to beat up the metal surrounding the springs. My garage said it is only affecting cylinder 1 right now but if I just had that head replaced there is nothing to say it wouldn't develop the problem further on the passenger side and then I am looking at pulling the engine again. They want to do the right thing and put in two remanufactured heads and I am looking at between $3000-$3500 but it could be more depending on how much the heads are. I understand they are hard to find.

I am so bummed out. I don't have the money to fix it with that much work needed. I took such good care of this car over the 14 years I owned it and it is dead at 75k miles. Drove it with respect, changed the oil every 3k with Royal Purple, etc. I know nothing lasts forever but it makes you wonder if it is even worth it. The garage offered me $2500 for the car as it sits. I just put $1100 in it for a new clutch a month ago so I will basically get $1400 for an otherwise mint car. To have taken such great care and put so much time into it over the years nets me $1400.

Sorry, just venting my frustration. I haven't decided what to do yet.:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread