Need Help with 01 lightning running bad

01SVTMIKE

01 Bad Lightning
Established Member
Hi, I have a 01 lightning with a stock motor and heads, KB 2.3, jlp plenum, jlp cai, diablo tuner, diablo mafia, accufab sbtb, 60# injectors, 255 pumps, denso iridum plugs, long tube headers no cats, and probally some stuff im forgetting. Now heres the problem about a year ago I did all the upgrades and had the truck tuned at a very know tuner(dont want to mention names) 456rwhp 511rwtrq the truck ran great for about a week and a half and then started missing a little and then progressed to get very bad. So I checked the spark plugs out and they looked ok but not great for new plugs so I changed the coil packs to motoblues. Truck ran great again. About a 2 weeks later started missing again but to make a long story short I have gone through 4 sets of coil packs and plugs in year. I took the truck back to the tuner about 6 months ago and he said it was a corupted tune. So new tune coil packs and plugs truck ran good for two weeks. Exhaust also smells very rich. Does anyone know what the problem could be? The last year has been hell trying to get this thing running good. My tuner is kind of far and isn't that helpful. And when I change the cops and plugs now it dosnt feel as strong so please help.

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
What COPS brand are you using now? What plug and gap? Too rich an it wont run as strong. Is your coolant temp gauge read the same when it is at operating temperature? You should look into finding a different/closer turner.

01SVTMIKE

01 Bad Lightning
Established Member
I have granatellies now w/ denso iridum .30 gap, and the trucks not running hot but my anti-freze has gotten real dirty and has turned a brown/broze color. Also I am hitting about 18 lbs of boost which seems high compared to others boost to horse power ratio. What kind of 1/4 mile times should I see with this setup because the best I got when running good is a 12.55.

01SVTMIKE

01 Bad Lightning
Established Member
I have heard of people going back stock with the cops. I will try that but I got to get some. Thanks for the help.

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
Good plug info;
When increasing boost above stock, even 2#'s more, new spark plugs need to be installed. More boost causes the air charge to be heated more and also makes more heat inside the engine. From stock boost up to 16# total boost NGK TR6's (4177) are hard to beat, gap them to .036-.038". For 16 # and up you may want to use NGK BR7EF's as they're another heat range colder, gap them .032-.034". Colder plugs are MANDATORY in order to prevent detonation and engine damage. There are no gains/losses from plug to plug. As always consult your tuner as to which would be best suited to your mods/conditions as all motors will be slightly different.

Use stock COPS. The reason I asked about your temp reading, a stuck open thermostat will make it run rich. If your coolant has never be changed/changed in a few years, flush it and replace your t-stat just in case.

01SVTMIKE

01 Bad Lightning
Established Member
Thanks foor the suggetions I will try changing the fulid and t-stat. Also I am thinking about getting jj at woodbine to tune my truck and he is only a hour away instead of 3 hours. Has anyone dealt with jj and if so what do u think.

Users who are viewing this thread