Need help...what steps to do in detailing?

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
I have a 98 crystal white cobra and its in pretty good condtion with only 43k miles on it. I usually do a wash/dry, claybar bar it and then wax it. but I want it to really shine and have never really done anything else to it besides that. So, what im asking is what are the steps to doing a real detail?..like with polishing, waxing, washing and all that stuff. What order of that stuff should i go in and what products work the best?

Thanks for any input. I'd really apprecaite it.

Scott P

Established Member
My process varies based on the condition of the paint, how much time I have and how much ambition I have. Our cars are well taken care of, so the paint never gets really bad. I do a full on detail every six months or so. I do upkeep between those details.

Obviously, my first step is a wash. I use regular car soap and not dish soap. I just don’t see a need for it. I dry the car with a waffle weave microfiber towel. I use a leaf blower to get the excess water out of the crevices.

For a full detail, I then clay the car. I use my stock of the yellow clay that can no longer be sold. When I run out of that, I’ll switch to one of the poly clays. I just like them better than the traditional Clay Magic/Auto Magic stuff. I do not wash the car after claying.

The polishing steps are next. Usually I do two of them. I start with a medium polish like Optimum Compound, Poorboy’s SSR2.5 or Menzerna Intensive Polish and apply it with a orange light cutting pad at full speed on my Porter Cable. If I bust out the rotary (Makita 9227C), I use Optimum Compound since it gives me a little safety margin with its higher carrier oil content. Once I am satisfied, I go on with the next step.

My second polishing step is with a finishing polish. Usually it’s Menzerna Micro Polish (Final Polish II) or Poorboy’s SSR1 with a white polishing pad again at full speed on the PC. If I were using Zaino, I’d use ZPC here with a white pad and at a slower speed like 4.5 or so.

If I’m pressed for time or if the paint isn’t too bad, I either use Optimum Polish or Poli-Seal with a white polishing pad as my only polishing step. Optimum Polish will remove the light swirls and leave the surface clean for a sealant. Poli-Seal is more of an all-in-one product that removes light swirls, oxidation and grime while also leaving some protection behind.

Next is when I would use a glaze. I use glazes on darker colors. For metallics, I usually skip them. Also they tend to work better under carnauba waxes rather than sealants. Sealants like a clean surface for bonding.

My final choice of wax or sealant varies based on what I feel like using. My favorites are Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax, Optimum Opti-Seal, Menzerna FMJ, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection and Poorboy’s EX. I may do two coats to ensure even coverage more than the additional protection.

Upkeep happens after I wash the car. Usually it’s just a matter of a quick detail spray such as Optimum Instant Detailer or Clearkote Quik Shine. Zaino Z-6 is nice if using the Zaino system. Every few weeks or so, I may apply some sort of booster. It could be a quick coat of Opti-Seal or Optimum Car Wax. It’s a spray wax with excellent durability and ease of use. It applies like a QD, but lasts like regular wax. Zaino’s comparable product would be Z-8.

It takes me a bout 4-5 hours or so on the paint if doing a full detail. Shorter details obviously take less time. The upkeep part is the quickest as it takes only 10-15 minutes. But, that extra step really keeps the car looking better longer while giving it additional protection.

As I’ve said in many previous posts, it all revolves around your personal standards and satisfaction level. What looks good to one person is seen as full of defects to another. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

Users who are viewing this thread